1. News & Issues

Stephen Wagner

Reader Question: Seeing Shadows

By September 6, 2008

"We moved in a house almost five years ago, and we have experienced a black shadow of a tall male," writes Martha. "He always walks from the living room to the kitchen. My husband and my son saw him too. Even my five-year-old daughter told her grandmom that people seem to come out from her room really fast. I asked a neighbor if a man used to live there. She said yes, he passed away; he used to drink too much. What can I do so we don't see that black shadow man or any other shadows at home? I called a priest. He came by and blessed the house, but I guess it did not work. Please let me know what to do."

Just because you are seeing human-like shadow forms does not mean your house is haunted (although it could be), and it doesn't mean you are crazy. When beginning to investigate such activity, you need to find out if there is a physical cause. One common cause is the existence of relatively high levels of electromagnetic fields (EMF). EMF have been shown to cause illusions, hallucinations, and even feelings of uneasiness or dread. You should have a licensed electrician check your home for EMF levels.

If your home's EMF levels are normal, then you might consider contacting a paranormal research group in your area -- preferably one that takes a "scientific" approach to an investigation. They probably also will check for EMF levels and also see if the shadows might be caused by outside passing car lights or some other normal source. Only when all possible normal sources have been ruled out might you consider that there is haunting activity. Be wary of paranormal research groups that jump to this conclusion too quickly. Usually, other kinds of haunting activity will add evidence leading to such a conclusion.

If they do suspect that there is genuine haunting activity, there may be little they can do about it. Sometimes so-called "cleansing" rituals help, sometimes they don't. Unless the activity becomes unbearable for some reason, you might want to just live with it and ignore it. Most often, such activity fades away of its own accord. It's highly unlikely that it is harmful or "evil" in any way.

Comments

September 7, 2008 at 7:18 am
(1) Pamela Langeveld says:

I also tend to see black shadows but soon after that somone i know dies.First time was with my grandfather second time was my father and recently a friend, but this time was different the shadow was first white and then turned black. My frend was first in a coma and then pasted away 3 days after i saw the shadow.

September 8, 2008 at 11:17 am
(2) Susan D says:

I have a good friend that says the smoke from lit sage is a very good way to ‘cleanse’ a home. Where we live,the sage used for this purpose can be found at a local natural foods/health store who’s owner happens to be an American Indian. Yes by all means check the electrical end, then for good measure ‘cleanse’ the house.

September 9, 2008 at 7:01 am
(3) Patricia says:

During the late 1990s especially 1999 up to 2004 I saw a lot of black figures. I was also very ill during this time. I had so many changes going on in my life, I contributed it to being sick, and having spiritual happenings. I saw them quite frequently but was never able to connect them to anything. During the year 2003 – 2005 the spirits came with a feelings of fear and death and that something very bad had happened, and that I had to contact my family or I would die, I was scared to death. I called a found out my mother had died. She died August 2003. I didn’t find out until January 2005. I was in total shock. Stunned. I went to see a psychiatrist to try and make heads and tales of what was happening to me. It was dismissed as a mental illness and drugs. I never did drugs in my life. I was diagnosed with Major Depression. My doctor was never willing to work with me. I later on 2008 started in group depression. She is no better than my doctor. I don’t see those black spirits (men mostly) anymore. I truly believe everything that was happening to me at this time was spiritual (spirits good and bad ones). It was the frequency of seeing them that had me worried.

October 6, 2009 at 5:01 pm
(4) Melissa says:

I am seeing shadows in my home, I belive its from the emf in here. I have lived here for 3 years and our electric bill has been 4.95 for as long as my family has lived here. should I have the electric company check our home?

April 7, 2010 at 2:22 pm
(5) jane says:

yes , erm about 7yrs ago whn my son was born there was a black shadow ova him watching him then it turned and floated away and since thn i ve been intrested to know who that was just for piece of mind i think

August 11, 2010 at 12:34 am
(6) Angela says:

Pamela, I too used to see a shadow person before someone in my family died.

October 31, 2011 at 4:34 pm
(7) marie says:

I work in a nursing home and I see a lot of shadows right before poeple die it usually my cue to get up and make a round. Food for thought only have seen two white shadows and found some one dead.

November 29, 2012 at 3:26 pm
(8) Fiona says:

For over 10 years now I have been seeing these dark shadows, they do not scare me, but within a week someone I know dies, a relative a friend even friends pets. Can someone please shed some light here please.