1. News & Issues

Stephen Wagner

Ghosts and Cemeteries?

By July 29, 2009

Take the poll:

You can also tell us why you voted the way you did in the comments link below.

Comments

July 30, 2009 at 1:05 pm
(1) Spectre says:

I never understood why people expect to see spirits at cemeteries. The body is disconnected from the spirit when it is buried, generally long before the burial. A spirit is more likely to remain where it died or in a place it has a connection to. So unless a spirit had a connection to a cemetery (such as a groundskeeper or something, I can’t see why they’d stick around their “shell” (body).

July 30, 2009 at 3:59 pm
(2) Carol says:

Digital cameras are known to “see” outside the normal visual spectrum. In pics like this is it possible that the camera might be peeking into the IR? That is, picking up differences in air temperature between cool ground and a stone still warm from the day or vice-versa. Notice that the “mist” seems to be arising directly FROM the stone.

July 30, 2009 at 4:07 pm
(3) Carol says:

And if so, pics like this would be typical of graveyards simply because of the standing stones surrounded by soil and grass. Where else would you expect to find extreme and extremely localized temperature gradients?
(Maybe in old drafty houses and shoulders of paved highways where so many digital photos show mysterious mists!)

July 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm
(4) Paul Cagle says:

As a paranormal investigator it’s been my personal experience that graveyards are very paranormally active. I’ve more paranormal evidence in one graveyard than I have in ten residences and I’ve been doing this for awhile

August 1, 2009 at 10:03 pm
(5) Carol says:

Does that evidence include mists?
Important, I think, to separate — or test — the readily explainable from the truly paranormal.

So many pictures (especially “orbs”) have appeared in lockstep with digital cameras.
We need to keep in mind the very different behavior between digital and older film cameras — and even the very different behavior of different brands and models of digital cameras and their interaction with different frequencies of light. The infamous “rods” (actually flying insects) come to mind.

Not saying there’s nothing there, just important to eliminate the obvious — and even to know what the obvious might be. Wonder if anyone has a listing of the full range of “view” of various cameras? How far can [insert model here] see beyond the standard visible spectrum?

OTOH, once walked past an old graveyard with my dog. He went nuts. Never before and never again did I see him so terrified. But dogs seem to see things we don’t; would be interesting if their responses could be correlated with photos and meter readings.
OTOH, he wasn’t at all distressed by mists coming off the road elsewhere that night.

August 1, 2009 at 11:02 pm
(6) Heather Woodward says:

Are you seriously trying to pass this off as a real picture? You people and your fraudulent ways. You make the rest of us real ghost hunters look so bad!

August 2, 2009 at 10:55 am
(7) paranormal says:

Heather — No one is claiming anything. We’re asking for evaluation and opinions — even from “real” ghost hunters like you!

August 3, 2009 at 6:10 pm
(8) BP says:

Hauntings can and do occur ANYWHERE, but I could never understand why cemetaries would have a higher level of paranormal experience than any other place. The person who died and is buried in the cemetary, did not spend their life there, so they would have no emotions or memories attached to the gravesite. It’s the flesh and bones of the deceased person who now resides in the cemetary, not their soul and spirit, which are enitrely different states of existence.

August 3, 2009 at 6:37 pm
(9) Miranda says:

Thats not a man.. if you lighten the image you can clearly see that it is only another grave marker.

I am a paranormal investigator.

Ive done the same things… gotten excited then when the picture is enhanced,, I see that its not what I thought

August 4, 2009 at 9:21 pm
(10) parasearcher says:

My wife and I are paranormal investigators, and we spend a lot of time in cemeteries. We have found that spirits, watch over their cemeteries. I don’t know if they are actually there, or looking on from somewhere else. We do capture a lot of evp’s from assorted spirits. If we go somewhere, where we have friends buried, we often get evp’s from these friend’s spirits. If we go to my parents gravesites, we’re always spoken to by name. As far as that goes, even where we didn’t know anyone, our names are called many times. We can go to cemeteries, where we’ve never been, and our names are called.We’ve picked up chants of messenger, and thank you Jesus. These sounded as though, they were coming from every soul in the cemetery. Is this not normal for everyone ? That’s sure the way it is with us. We even have evp’s of arguments, between good and evil, arguing over our souls. One time, we recorded a phone call to Heaven. The mechanical dial can be heard, then a couple of electronic beeps, followed by a click, and someone responding, “Heaven”.

August 10, 2009 at 3:06 pm
(11) Mike says:

I am a professional photographer. I have worked over thirty years in little to no light conditions. There are a few things that others have requested answers to about the photo. ALL digital cameras see IR. There are only one or two (Nikon D90 and above) that actually offer it as a setting. The other cameras can be adapted by yourself to shoot in the IR range. You simply remove a filter from the in front of the image sensor and you are done(one more step for daylight in necessary)There are different patterns in the grain/pixel areas of the ‘ghost’vs rest of image. This might mean something/might not. As to no head being seen- when enlarged 400%, a clearer picture of a skull is visable slightly above where the subjects shoulders would be. Also near the base of the tombstone a clear image of a left shoe is visable. I have been trying to shoot pictures such as this one for years in 3D. Only then can the objects be exactly placed in the photo to show depth and location of subjects. Regular photography is flat, but 3d photos, by their pure nature, cannot be adobe’d, or have fakes added in.

September 11, 2010 at 12:38 pm
(12) trista says:

in the photo cemetery vapor man its not the mist that should be questioned its the face u see looking over the grave stone on the lower right side of the picture it seems to be a man.

May 7, 2012 at 1:37 pm
(13) Lou says:

I’ll tell you what I see. After I zoomed onto the photo, I could see one figure carrying another figure on his back, as if slung over the first figure’s shoulders. Amazing apparition to say the least.

January 10, 2014 at 3:15 pm
(14) Jon Myrmel says:

I have experienced a couple of spectral ghostly images (one with intelligent conversation) in the past right in my own home. Both dealt with close family members that were in the process of passing on. These two episodes happened many years apart and made me a firm believer in the paranormal. In the past year my daughter and my fiancé and I have become involved in paranormal research and do active investigations when ever possible. We travel all over West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland, Kentucky, and Michigan searching for ghosts and do quite well. But of all the thousands of photos I take with a full spectrum camera I have only captured one good picture of a ghost and that was in a cemetery. The cemetery was only a few miles from where we live. I about fell off my chair when I saw the ghost upon reviewing the pics from that days paranormal hunt. So as far as the “Ghosts and Cemeteries” poll goes, I would have to say that it is at least just as likely to see a ghost at a cemetery.