1. News & Issues

CNY Spirits

Filmmaker George Clarke has spotted something unusual in some "behind the sceens" footage of the 1928 Charlie Chaplin film The Circus. The footage can be found on the "extras" disc of the DVD. In the brief clip, an old woman (some say it looks like a man in drag) walks into frame talking while holding a small, thin device up to her ear. If the film were made today, we would assume she was talking on a cell phone, but of course this is 1928. Is she a time traveler? Or is there a more logical explanation? Read more, watch the video, decide and leave your comments below.

Comments

October 24, 2010 at 8:24 pm
(1) Benevolent Father says:

I can state with 995 accuracy this is not a Time-traveller, I know it’s all the rage right now to see one, but it just is ot the case.
What do we know?
we have a woman(?) walking down the street she has her hand to ner ear, posibly holding something to it. When this women turns to the camera, we see her mouth moving.
This is all we see. the most likely explanation is that she is adjusting a hearing aid, they had just come on the market as smaller then, so it could be one of the newer models. Her mouth is not making word like movements, but chewing movements, like she is playing with false teeth or maybe left over lunch.

February 17, 2011 at 3:45 pm
(2) BahamaBabeagg says:
October 25, 2010 at 8:26 am
(3) Mr. Nobody says:

Is it possible for this person to be a time traveler? We cannot say that it’s impossible in the furture to travel to the past or that this person isn’t talking into some sort of extra dimensional device that needs no tower to relay a signal against. What was can is that it’s odd. It might not be amazing to simply say that the footage is odd but that’s all we can say conclusivley. It does look like this person is talking into some thing that looks like a modern cell phone and that’s odd. Something else we should keep in mind while viewing this footage, the image is stretched. The person who posted this has it displayed in widescreen but I’m sure old new footage was most likely 4:3. That doesn’t take the divice our of her hand it just changed the shape of all that we see.

October 25, 2010 at 10:17 am
(4) UnionJack says:

You said, “Honestly guys, do you really think anyone who IS a time-traveller would allow themselves to be caught on film? The very act of doing so would change history.”

I agree. It did. Nothing will ever be the same. So What?

Perhaps the world is better now because of the “traveler.”

October 25, 2010 at 11:31 am
(5) Joe Dennison says:

Its a man. He was talking to his self. Or thinking out loud.

October 25, 2010 at 1:16 pm
(6) ticktock says:

Would like to believe it’s a careless time-traveler, BUT, could it be a compress she/he is holding because of a toothache?- she seems to be holding it pretty tight and close to her cheek more than her ear.

October 25, 2010 at 2:20 pm
(7) El Supercabras says:

Interesting bit of film, quite open to interpretation. “Her” feet are enormous.

October 25, 2010 at 3:37 pm
(8) Donna says:

if she were a time-traveler wouldn’t she be dressed in clothes from a different era?

October 25, 2010 at 4:40 pm
(9) Alton P. says:

They could have fashioned period appropriate clothing if they knew they were going back to that specific period. I’m not saying it’s a time traveler with some sort of communication device, but it does look like the person is holding a square, dark colored object that they are talking into. What that may be, who knows?

October 25, 2010 at 5:51 pm
(10) Paul says:

This is a circus performance – the actor is rehearsing talking on a mobile communication device that hadn’t in those times been invented. Paul

October 25, 2010 at 8:02 pm
(11) Louise says:

Actually it’s me. I occasionally travel backwards and forwards in time and I recall visiting the USA in the late 20s where I met Mr Chaplin. At the time I was calling my sister in Birmingham to arrange a nightout with some friends.
Louise

October 25, 2010 at 9:00 pm
(12) 4Truth&Justice says:

All that can be said is that the film appears to show an odd looking person doing something which can be considered odd for that time and place. Her / his action is also a sight we find familiar, so we naturally reference that when we try to analyze this film clip.

I do appreciate that this does not appear to be a hoax film: not something made up using costumes and stage props. But we still end up with at least a few alternate explanations. Leaving us with: uncertainty.

Even while watching this film clip: I kept thinking I might have seen this same clip before (presented as a mystery then, too). I doubt that this fellow from Ireland is really the first to notice. My memory isn’t clear at all but I do think it was years ago and that it was part of a television program not normally devoted to such mysteries. My mind keeps flashing on the old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. So he may have invited a guest to show this. I can see in my mind’s “replay” Johnny doing one of his comedic reactions (of shock and amazement).

October 25, 2010 at 10:25 pm
(13) ChrisTea says:

OK – none of you people are over 35 yrs, are you? In those days, women regularly followed a few paces behind their husbands and the women, though they may seem to be walking alone, would still talk to their husbands ahead of them. Secondly, the woman (obvious to me) has rather bad arthritis in her hands and it’s permanently in a “clawed” position. I’ve known many older women who have hands like this. It seems that she was holding her hand up to block the sun from her eyes. I don’t see anything in her hands … to me it looks like a shadow that you are seeing. Lastly, I would assume that seeing a movie camera pointed at you in the street in the 20′s would surprise any “regular person”. Cell phone? I’m glad to see that people still have active imaginations!

October 26, 2010 at 3:18 am
(14) Chris Vertoy says:

I have an explanation, or at least I think I do. This footage came from a promo for the opening of a Chaplin film in Hollywood. Hollywood was, of course, a cutting edge place in 1928 as far as movies go, and it is not impossible that someone planted this character and her mobile device simply as an attention-getter for some upcoming cinematic work dealing with futurism. But what is more likely is that Hollywood’s greatest competitor in 1928—which is to say Berlin and the ultra-futuristic films of the Weimar Republic—made sure this woman was walking around talking in her device and being seen by lots of people as a promotion for some Expressionist film being produced by UFA, Germany’s leading film company of the era. The woman’s face, expression and dress literally scream Germany and the Weimar, right down to the shoes. Check out secondary actresses in such films as Von Sternberg’s THE BLUE ANGEL (1930) and other supernatural and or futuristic films of (for example) Robert Wiene, WW Murnau, Carl Boese, Fritz Lang and a host of others. Sorry to say for good old Hollywood, even in its heyday, but Berlin was far ahead in visionary and imaginative production as well as creative ideas for the promotion of same. UFA was in direct competition with Hollywood studios, and it is not unlikely that someone from that company or another Weimar outfit purposely planted this rather ominous female at the premiere of a Chaplin movie merely to remind people of what was upcoming in Weimar cinema (which was readily accessible in the US). As I said, the woman’s dress and style are almost pure Weimar. You have to see enough German films of this entire era to appreciate that, but then it jumps right out at you. I mean really.

October 26, 2010 at 1:02 pm
(15) DocBrown says:

To those who think that a time traveller would not have dared get caught on film for fear of “changing history,” I say that’s nonsense. You cannot change history. If the traveller was caught on tape, then they were caught on tape. It happened (apparently 80 years ago) and there would be no need to worry about that event changing anything because it already happened (from our temporal point of view, and from the point of view of anyone after that moment in time).

October 26, 2010 at 9:21 pm
(16) Steve says:

What amazes me is that so many newsagencies are reporting on this and not one journo has bothered to go out and buy the DVD in question. I’ve only seen one comment one news.com.au so far from someone that has the DVD, and he claimed the woman isn’t in the original. It’s a clever publicity stunt for George Clarke’s film company.

October 27, 2010 at 12:36 am
(17) joe says:

Think of this…. what if it’s all wrong? What if you can go back in time, come back to the future and nothing is effected? What if I could go back in time, stop the Kennedy assassination, come back to now and find nothing has changed? I know it sounds crazy but think outside the box for a minute

October 27, 2010 at 1:18 am
(18) Lee Harvey says:

For God’s sake – someone finds a clip of someone who looks as though they might be using a cell phone and people start talking about time travel. Surely there must be other more likely explanations !
Lee Harvey

October 27, 2010 at 1:20 am
(19) Anne says:

There’s the parallel universe theory – that we can go back in time but we can’t change the course of historical events – we are in a parallel dimension. Anne

October 27, 2010 at 2:27 am
(20) Curious Sceptic says:

OK, so I definately do not believe in time travel, as i am convinced the past does not exist anymore. Its just a plain fact. And universal law.

But lets say it is…. in response to Doc Brown’s statement that if she came from the future, went back to the past, that the film was made 80 years ago. OK BUT….It also happened in the future. So the ORIGINAL film would not show the woman. That changed once the future came along, time traveller was born and raised, and travelled back, changing the course of history. Just to get it right. I wish I believed this was possible but….no I dont.

October 27, 2010 at 2:54 am
(21) aouni says:

What network was he/she using to use his phone ?
Ah I know, the network instalations are time traveler as well.

October 27, 2010 at 8:32 am
(22) kellyb007 says:

If it were a time traveler talking on their cellphone, they wouldn’t get great service would they?

October 27, 2010 at 12:01 pm
(23) Doc Brown says:

Time Travel is possible, they did an expirement with a car traveling 80 MPH and a light beam , you would still measure the light beam racing away from your car at 186,000 miles per second (c). A ‘stationary’ observer watching this happen, though, would not then measure the beam’s speed at almost twice c. Relativity says that all observers always get the same measurement for c.

While that may not sound logical or plausible, it happens because what we normally think of as fixed concepts–length and time–are both variable at high speeds. If you observed a car travelling past you at close to c, its length in the direction of travel would appear shortened and the passage of time on board would appear slowed down.

October 27, 2010 at 4:01 pm
(24) Tnek says:

Well, im not actually a time travel believer myself, unfortunately we dont live in a world where people can be open minded anymore & I do want to be but I would have hoped that if time travel were possible someone would have come back already to stop the horrible way we are moving into the future, at present I dont see much of a future for anyone to come back from!
Lets try getting the present right & then we might have a chance to find out if it where true!

October 27, 2010 at 7:10 pm
(25) dom says:

we will always have things unexplained – this is one of them at this moment, tomorrow something else will happen – time travel i got no idea i believe in strange things like ghost – the question is that people will have record of who was thier and who played who – so find that out first!!!!.. and if i could travel back in time i wouldnt change histroy for that is part of life but yet i would bring something small that have extreme value in todays worlds, what would you bring

October 27, 2010 at 7:28 pm
(26) Prdparent says:

Are you kidding, of course this is a time traveler! Clearly from the time period AB (After Bieber) 780-810. Unfornately for us we got a nut-job time traveler who like talking into their hand.

October 27, 2010 at 7:40 pm
(27) Parafan says:

This is fascinating, but I wonder if it’s an “Easter egg” type trick (if you are into computers you know this term) and the producer of the DVD created this scene over the original? How many people went out and bought this on DVD after seeing or hearing about this? This is the most logical explanation I can come up with, but my mind is open to other ideas!

October 27, 2010 at 7:52 pm
(28) James says:

I have the real and very best explanation.This woman is from the year 2595 and is about to kick the bucket so she has decided to go back in time and have one last party with her ancestors before she meets them in the upper room.

October 27, 2010 at 8:27 pm
(29) blackpeke says:

I don’t buy this. First, if a time traveller didn’t want to be seen on a cell phone, they wouldn’t be wandering around talking on it. And wouldn’t they use something much less conspicuos, like a beartooth?

Personally, I think it looks fake anyway.

Oh, and Einstein proved that time is relative to your place in space, so changing the ‘past’ doesn’t change the ‘future’. We just view time as we travel through it, everything has happened already.

October 27, 2010 at 8:47 pm
(30) Assunta says:

Ridiculous. If she was a time traveller with a cellphone who the heck would she be talking to? There were no other cellphones back then, or for that matter a cellular network?! Duh!

If I was a time traveller and had a companion with me, the obvious thing to bring for communications would be walkie-talkies which have antennas. What she’s holding has no antenna.

So it’s probably some primitive hearing aid she’s holding. Or maybe a pack of ice for a sore cheek! hahaha

October 27, 2010 at 8:59 pm
(31) hi says:

If this person is a time traveler, which is fun to imagine, who would they be talking to? there would be no cellular service or satellites to support it…

October 27, 2010 at 9:21 pm
(32) Tim says:

It’s not a cell phone. You are all dumb. Cell phone towers did not exist back then. Bringing a cell phone back in time would be as useful as a brick.

It boggles me that people see this and think that it would actually be a cell phone. It’s just beyond stupid.

October 27, 2010 at 9:29 pm
(33) Will says:

October 27, 2010 at 9:31 pm
(34) Will says:

She was holding a hearing aid… here is a link to a site that has a photo of the actual aid that was manufactured in 1925. http://www.hearingaidmuseum.com/gallery/Carbon/WesternElectric/info/westelect34a.htm

October 27, 2010 at 9:33 pm
(35) Parafan says:

I don’t agree that it’s dim to think it can’t be a cell phone because there were no towers… If you had the technology to travel through time, You would likely have advanced communication devices that do not need towers. It’s fascinating what you come up with when trying to debunk, but The only thing I can think is it’s a doctored version of the film, a joke of sorts by the producer of the DVD.

October 27, 2010 at 9:47 pm
(36) Leumas says:

The person talking on the phone is in the present. Everyone else are time-travellers from the past still wearing their 1920′s clothes.

October 27, 2010 at 11:00 pm
(37) lookagain says:

Even if it was a cell phone toting time traveler, it wouldn’t work because there were NO cell towers in 1920. DUH!

October 27, 2010 at 11:04 pm
(38) Chick Clapsaddle says:

It was not unuaual for people to walk while listening to their pocket watch chime in those days.

October 27, 2010 at 11:05 pm
(39) logic says:

ok, if its a time traveler – they would be from our future…

with advanced technology….

not only do i have a smaller cell phone right now, but i also have an ear piece and looking at the pace of things, someone from the future would have a cell phone the size of a hearing aid and be voice activated…

if not – they mastered time travel but failed on cell phones.

October 27, 2010 at 11:08 pm
(40) Gopinath Acarya Das says:

We are all time travellers. Today is the future of our past, similarly, today is also the past of our future. Whatever we had done in the past will certainly affect our future,(or today), and what ever we did today will also affect our future of there is no doubt.

October 27, 2010 at 11:08 pm
(41) Joshua says:

To all you saying she would go back in time to stop herself being seen… What if she went back and stayed there, therefore didnt see herself being caught. I wouldnt come back to my time if I could go back to that era, know the lottery numbers or how to be rich or famous and come back to what? nothing?

October 27, 2010 at 11:09 pm
(42) Jordan says:

well if this was filmed back in the 1920′s that means cell phone didn’t exist. wouldn’t that mean the satellites that power the phone so we can talk to each other wouldn’t exist either so how would they talk to someone???

October 27, 2010 at 11:09 pm
(43) Insane says:

This looks like a loafer (shoe) to me. I think we are seeing a run-of-the-mill nut bar we see everywhere. Why wouldn’t a crazy woman hold a shoe to her ear thinking GOD was talking to her through it? Would it be any different then the 1000s of crazies we see all around us today?

A great bit of mystery that seems to be out there to increase DVD sales. I wouldn’t be surprised to later learn someone promating the DVD sales released this bit of footage just to increase sales. Dishonest sales practices have to keep up with the times and man is this ever a P.T. Barnum moment.

October 27, 2010 at 11:10 pm
(44) tina says:

There were no satellites in space in 1920, who the hell do you think she is talking to?

October 27, 2010 at 11:12 pm
(45) Tyler says:

if he/she really had a cell fone.. who would he/she be talking to.. thats kind of confusing..

October 27, 2010 at 11:19 pm
(46) Fred C says:

I would just like to apply some logical reasoning here. In order for cell phones to operate you necessitate a cell phone tower. So even if this were a time traveler with a cell phone you still need a intermediate communication point, and cell phone towers didn’t exist back then obviously. If I were to guess this is probably some sort of radio/transmitter device, which were prevalent in the ’20s.

October 27, 2010 at 11:20 pm
(47) StatManDu says:

Good guess by Will regarding the device being an early hearing aid. The link provided above, however, says that it was invented in 1925. Problem is the movie was filmed in 1920. I thought it might be an early walkie talkie, but that was invented in the 1930s.

October 27, 2010 at 11:27 pm
(48) binsen says:

its a time traveling chaplin die hard fan and he’s calling his friends saying “im gonna see charlie chaplin live!! yeah!!!”

October 27, 2010 at 11:40 pm
(49) albert says:

October 27, 2010 at 11:42 pm
(50) Pennypacker says:

Maybe she is communicating via cell phone to her other time traveler buddies that just completed construction on a cell phone tower.

LOLOLOL!!! Hoaxes are a great draw tool for advertisers.

October 27, 2010 at 11:46 pm
(51) Avi Sonenthal says:

I believe she has a toothache and is holding the side of her face because of the pain.

October 27, 2010 at 11:49 pm
(52) Jeff says:

Ok, I’m not saying it’s a cell phone-like device or a hearing aid, but the bottom line is we’ll never know. There is no scientific evidence to completely rule out time travel, in fact we’ve actually narrowed it down to what we would actually need in order to do it but it’s way out of our league. We can’t say for certain whether or not this is indeed a clumsy time traveler, but the fact remains that it is possible.

I read a lot of these posts and it seems most of the people here are thinking far too linear. Sure, no cell towers or satellites existed back then, but does that mean at some point in the future we won’t go beyond cell phones as a means of communication? No, it only means we haven’t come up with another way yet, but at some point phones of every kind will become obsolete, just as VHS and 8 tracks did. Just because it resembles a cell phone doesn’t mean it has to work on the same principles. If there’s one thing our history has taught us, it’s that we don’t know everything, and at some point everything we think we know changes.

Also, to say that any time traveler wouldn’t be this foolish as proof that it’s not a time traveler is foolish. No one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes and some are more serious than others. Perhaps she was distracted and didn’t notice the camera, or thought that the quality of film wouldn’t allow this to be seen, or maybe she never left that time period. There’s plenty of good explanations, and unfortunately we’re left with nothing but questions and speculation. And the fact it looks like a hearing device from that era doesn’t disprove anything either, I’m sure if someone was able to travel to any time period they wanted, they’d be smart enough to fashion a communication device to resemble that time periods level of technology.

To me, when she turn towards the camera it looks very much like she’s saying something while smiling, but who knows, maybe she was just a loon…

October 27, 2010 at 11:50 pm
(53) Devon says:

she could be playing with her earring and exclaiming how something is bothering her ear.

October 27, 2010 at 11:50 pm
(54) Philip says:

First-why a cell phone-if truely a time traveler, maybe it/they are from our fututre as well-Maybe its not a cell phone at all-but more like a Star Trek Communicator type of device.

Second-could be an Easter Egg planted onto the dvd as suggested

Could also be some sort of publicity gag/stunt, a typical crazy talking to themselves ( they are still with us-see’em everyday on the subway) etc

The shoes are interesting though-
Finally as Holmes once told us all
The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.”
and
“How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?
(sherlock Holmes) and if not Holmes, what about Hamlet:

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

be seeing you……

October 27, 2010 at 11:55 pm
(55) danny says:

Its an ET, dressed as a human, communicating with there ship. See it on different Star Trek TNG shows.

October 27, 2010 at 11:59 pm
(56) Jesse from OC says:

It looks like he is scratching his head with his fingers underneath his hat.

October 28, 2010 at 12:00 am
(57) fred says:

I doubt this is a time traveler, for the most part there needs to be a cell tower to receive and transmit radio waves, even satalite phones dont work like that, they need to go to satalite then to reciever. I could be be wrong, they could have made cell tower there before hand.

October 28, 2010 at 12:05 am
(58) Maddy says:

I like to keep an open mind but there are a couple things nagging me about this video. 1. It seems all the articles I have read have used the video the filmmaker circulated. I wonder, has anyone seen the footage from another media, like a dvd they have access to, some way to independantly verify that the scene is authentic. 2. The man who circulated this video is an indie filmmaker, he even tells us about his films and one of the posters for one of his movies is behind him, this whole thing feels like a viral advertizing effort on behalf of the filmmaker. It has worked considdering how many have now seen the clip, read his name, and seen a poster ad for his film.

October 28, 2010 at 12:06 am
(59) JoshB says:

October 28, 2010 at 12:08 am
(60) Jim says:

Albert says == how do we know that it’s a cellphone and not a shoe the woman’s holding on to her ear? hello!
===============================

You are right. It is Maxwell Smart with his shoe talking to Agent 99.

October 28, 2010 at 12:11 am
(61) jck says:

okay first of all I don’t believe in time traveling.. but hey there are many things out there that we don’t know about… and for the lady who is surely over 35, seriously she was obviously not walking behind her husband like you make it seem. Did you not notice that she suddenly stops and looks around as if searching for something? maybe TRYING to be cautious of not getting caught??

October 28, 2010 at 12:12 am
(62) sarrow says:

how could a cell phone even get reception in the 1920′s for someone to be talking on it????

October 28, 2010 at 12:14 am
(63) The Time Traveler says:

I’ll let you in on what’s happening as soon as I go back in time to interrogate her.

October 28, 2010 at 12:14 am
(64) Future Mrs. H says:

I found the link to the HEARING AID from 1925:

The movie was released in *1928*, which makes this HEARING AID relevant and the only plausible explanation.

October 28, 2010 at 12:16 am
(65) Cris says:

Dear Curious Skeptic,

I appreciate the comment, but you’re completely wrong. The fact is, there is no unified theory as to the nature of time. Therefore to say that the past no longer exists is not only unsupported by scientific data, but if you believe the theories of folks like Stephen Hawking and Gerald Whitrow, the past and future coexist with the present.

Truth be told, only God knows. As far as the “time traveler” goes, come on people. Does anyone really believe that a person from the future would have nothing better than walk across a movie set?

October 28, 2010 at 12:25 am
(66) einstein says:

Impossible: there would not have been any network connection in the first place

October 28, 2010 at 12:26 am
(67) MMM says:

Perhaps it is a time traveller, however let’s look at the facts presented:
a) Cell phone devices already exist that are smaller than the one she is purported to be holding;
b) Cell phone towers would be necessary unless the time traveller travelled within a conveyance (e.g., a ship like Star Trek IV or Back to the Future)
c) Since the individual looks at the camera at the end of the clip, she is aware that she has been filmed, would that not mean the time traveller would take the necessary steps in eliminating the footage?

This begs the question, why would the time traveller be communicating in broad daylight where anyone could see?

Also, did anyone else notice the zebra with a saddle? Really?

October 28, 2010 at 12:37 am
(68) lordsmizzail says:

think of the time frame… can you say secret agent

October 28, 2010 at 12:46 am
(69) Mr. 14 years says:

Well we might never be certain, if he/she is a time-traveler after all, maybe would should head back to when that movie was made to find out. In any case, I doubt the human race would still be using cellphones if time-travel were in fact possible. All technological progress does not remain stagnant it moves along with everything else. So let’s go with the adjusting her hearing-aid theory. :)

October 28, 2010 at 1:01 am
(70) GroundChuck says:

All of you who think this could be a time traveller are all crazy. I’ve analyzed this film in great detail and have concluded that she is not talking on a cell phone. Instead she is listening to a Sony Walkman and singing along with her favorite song!

October 28, 2010 at 1:05 am
(71) oVeLL says:

time travel??Seriously??its against the law of physics remember?talking on a cellphone??you’ll need a cell site for that to be possible.. hmmnn maybe she brought one with with her

October 28, 2010 at 1:06 am
(72) Jungleface says:

Ahh, so that’s where Carmen San Diego went.

October 28, 2010 at 1:09 am
(73) Duff says:

What are the odds of time travel? If I were to travel time, I will definitely leave a sign that I had done so.
Have you ever watched “Deja vu” of Denzel Washington?
In that movie, certain signs were left to be find out.
Thus, I’m suggesting we investigate deeply on this matter, it might be a science breaking discovery.

The Ashfox

October 28, 2010 at 1:13 am
(74) peter says:

If it is a cell phone it wouldn’t work without the towers, duh

October 28, 2010 at 1:15 am
(75) Dakotahorn says:

Damn Will, you are a ruiner sir.

Quit raining on my parade.

BTW, ‘warp speed’ is still plausible if we can’t have time travel. Something about condensing matter in front of ‘spaceship’ while expanding it behind the ship. IDK, just can’t wait for commercial trips into space.

October 28, 2010 at 1:17 am
(76) J James says:

if this is true then time machine was invented probably just around 5 years ago . . . right now almost everybody uses a headset when talking while walking or driving and not holding the phone near the ear. . . with regards to cell site or satellite issues, if its a dimension apart, the signal from the future is just there around, everything happens at the same time.

October 28, 2010 at 1:23 am
(77) classified 231 says:

i use to work for a certain organization at a certain location. i observed many ( strange ) things at this facility that i thought didn’t exist. well, to my surprise some things on the front page are real. big brother isn’t telling us everything guys. from what little i came across on an eye witness account, you’ll be surprised who’s working with our government. I am not saying this video is of time travelers because i have no ideal on that subject but……you need to keep open minds; very open.

October 28, 2010 at 1:26 am
(78) Chris says:

Why she be on a cell phone there are no satallites

October 28, 2010 at 1:30 am
(79) Moe says:

All I can say is lets keep an open mind, because at one time people would have thought you were crazy if you said that one day people will fly or go to the moon. We now have the ability to vist other planets in space, we can talk to people on the other side of the globe by cell phone. All Im saying is science is amaizing. So let us not doupt anything just yet.
If not in our time than mabe 200 years in the future this may be possible, even if they can only go back a few hours.

October 28, 2010 at 1:36 am
(80) Miss P. says:

for all we know she could have been just scratching her ear or playing with her earrings. Seriously. And if indeed this was a time traveler, and she’s making a call, does it mean that telephone lines can cross “time spheres”? But this creeps me out just a little bit. = p

October 28, 2010 at 1:47 am
(81) voice of logic says:

if this truly was a cell phone, that would be one heck of a roaming charge. seriously the technology should be advanced enough to have a smaller phone, not a 1980′s brick. personally i do believe in time travel however we cannot harness the energy thus deemed impossible.

-may the force be with you

October 28, 2010 at 1:55 am
(82) Larry says:

Mother nature has locked us out of time travel for the same reason we’re locked out of fusion as an energy source.

October 28, 2010 at 2:00 am
(83) Zobatar says:

To all the people commenting on not having towers for her cell phone. If this person is from a future time that can travel through time, cell phones might be a thing of the past in there existance. Maybe they don’t need towers anymore to communicate. Captain Kirk’s phone didn’t need any tower to call Scottie when he wanted to get beamed up. I do believe this is a hoax though. Man is always looking for a mystery, or money.

October 28, 2010 at 2:01 am
(84) robert says:

i know you want this to be true or somehow intrigue by this but…

People, wake-up!

there’s no cell site at that time, so how’s he/she communicating thru a cell phone?

if he/she is using a cell phone, who is he/she calling? another time traveller?

if he/she is a time traveller, i guess his/her real time (future) is no different now, she’s using a cellphone, not some other uber cool communication device!

people really are imaginative and creative but guys don’t over do it!

October 28, 2010 at 2:15 am
(85) JUST THINK says:

IF THIS WAS TRUE THEN THINK ABOUT IT THE FIRST SATALITE WAS LAUNCHED IN THE 50′S BY RUSSIA OK…SO A CELL PHONE WOULD BE UNABLE TO MAKE A CALL IN THE 20′S THERE ARE NO SATALITES THUS THAT IS NOT ANYONE TALKING ON A CELL PHONE JUST HOLDING SOMETHING TO THIER EAR AND CHEWING SOME GUM OR FIXING TEETH AS SAID ABOVE.

October 28, 2010 at 2:18 am
(86) dave says:

it’s obvious a psychic mimicking what she saw in the future…in front of a camera knowing one day it would be talked about….

October 28, 2010 at 2:30 am
(87) rararark says:

then that guy needs to time travel again to reverse the caught time travel lol

October 28, 2010 at 2:49 am
(88) takebb909 says:

Time traveling is intriguing and possible; there are countless variables as to why a “time traveler” would be on a set, enough to create a great film or even a TV series or novel. Same goes for why they would be using an archaic cell device.

My most logical guess beyond the hearing aid, perhaps, would be that the person was practicing some sort of espionage, spying or tracking.

I think its best to leave this figuring out to someone who is very affluent to those times, trends and traditions, to answer the question.

October 28, 2010 at 2:54 am
(89) Will says:

It could be a time traveler using a com device to talk to another time traveler in the same time at a different location. Possibly keeping in touch to ensure they stay safe and un-noticed. Alternatively, possibly coordinating a pickup time. No one ever said a time traveler would only travel alone. The truth is out their, but do you really what to know? Some say that ignorance is bliss.

October 28, 2010 at 2:56 am
(90) Alyssa. says:

Maybe its a walky talky? :|

October 28, 2010 at 2:58 am
(91) Will says:

That would be a com device, short for communications device.

October 28, 2010 at 3:18 am
(92) 818Thomas says:

WHO WOULD THEY BE TALKING TO? Its the 1920′s, having a mobile phone isn’t going to do you any good.

C’mon folks, don’t be so gullible. Think about it. It takes an enormous amount of infrastructure to support mobile phone communications.

Ok, I’m done. I’m not talking to stupid people anymore.

October 28, 2010 at 3:24 am
(93) Heather says:

IT HONESTLY LOOKS LIKE A REGULAR HOME PHONE FROM BACK IN THE DAY WITH THE WIRE CUT OFF IF YOU PAUSE THE IMAGE IT WAS A BUNCH OF ACTORS & A CIRCUS THEME, THEY WERE KNOWN TO DO SILLY FUNNY THINGS IT WAS PROBABLY A MAN DRESSED IN DRAG TALKING ON A PHONE WITH NO WIRES AS A FUNNY!!! IF YOU REALLY LOOK AT THE PHONE YOU CAN SEE UP TOWARDS THE EAR THAT IT LOOKS LIKE ONE OF THOSE OLD RECEIVERS FROM THE DAY CUT OFF FROM THE WIRE. THEY WERE COMEDIANS AND IT WAS CIRCUS THEME

October 28, 2010 at 3:37 am
(94) Will says:

In the First World War, we had hand held short waive communication devices. Well before any cell towers or satellites. It is reasonable to assume that if a time traveler existed, they may have similar and more advanced technology available. 818Thomas, do you have any telecommunication experience?

It is very possible that he was using a prototype short wave hand held com device that was slimmer and worked with others on the set with similar devices. It is also possible that someone in the distant future has figured out how to create a wormhole and control the singularity. Using it to place one’s self in any desired place and time.
It also could remotely be an alien that looks human doing research or recon and using a communications device to talk to base or spaceship.

Fact is we do not know and must likely will not know. In addition, if an answer was found, it would not be in our life times.

October 28, 2010 at 4:09 am
(95) allan says:

First, the questions is with whom she was talking to!!! (if we assume that she was a time traveler and stuff)
second, we can say that she walks in a way to attract our attention so we can see that she is holding something to her ear since she is holding it to her left ear we can assume that she is left-handed which is something uncommon (just 10% of the population are left-handed ) plus she stop in front of the camera and lock at it so we can see that she is moving her lips so we can assume that she is talking on the phone so clearly I can say it’s a very good fake!!!!!!

October 28, 2010 at 4:11 am
(96) Chunkitos says:

If indeed she was a time traveler, why would she need those s2pid cell sites and networks and satellites?
like oh they i don’t a signal maybe i my phone from atnt isn’t quad band!

she’s from the future men! she’s from an advance era which is beyond our comprehension which is probably not in our time! bcoz we stil use satellites duh!

who would she be talking to?
maybe she’s not alone! LOL!

this was posted on yahoo because there’s something weird about it obviously! not because they didn’t know their phones are connected via cellular networks or they happen to don’t know that! stop acting like you know everything well in fact your comments are so s2pid!

October 28, 2010 at 4:19 am
(97) paul says:

first of all the phone would not work due to the facts of there being no being not satillites in space since no rockets would have been invented. my theory is that he/she had a clogged ear and was trying to move their jaw trying to pop it. as for the devise maybe something cold cause they got punched into the jaw. which could also explain why they are trying to pop their ear

October 28, 2010 at 4:19 am
(98) greenspirit says:

It seems strange that if this is a ‘random’ piece of 1920s footage .. why would the camera be focused on that one person (holding a supposedly cell phone) and also you have to remember back then the film would not move so smoothly as it does today .. this film does not move like a 1920s film clip .. even with all the enhancing in the world .. weve seen footage of 1930 (air craft disaster) and even with modern day equipment , that piece of film can not be made to project clearer than what it does .. I think the whole thing is a hoax

October 28, 2010 at 4:28 am
(99) annchapman says:

whats the framrate to life?

October 28, 2010 at 4:29 am
(100) Crafty says:

LMFAO! Ok lets think about this, a cell phone works like this and this is putting it lightly .. PHONE -> TOWER -> SATELITE (if need be)->TOWER->PHONE , so what these people are saying that there were cell phone towers and satelilites there? just amazingly left by aliens for us to use in case we find a cell phone in a cereal box right? LOL! Come on people. Im a hard core syfi fan but this is just bull crap. Maybe she has a mental illness? I even know lots of sane people that talk to themselves. Or she could be chewing. Its just a fluke vid. I dont believe time travel would ever be possible, the physics and plain common sence supports this. I do believe we will achive Faster Than Light travel, Colonize the stars and I even believe aliens exhist but this is just to much… LOLS and too everyones dissapointment, if they are indeed so advanced and future people, WHY would they have a big thing like that, would’nt their technology be so advanced that its built into the mind? Or a button phone? or anything but a normal phone!! think about it, Today we get tech that surpasses whats shes holding…

October 28, 2010 at 4:30 am
(101) wtf says:

W T F ! ! ! ! ! It looks like my 16 yr old daughter from our current time, only older and stranded in the 20′s…and thats my damn phone!!!!

October 28, 2010 at 4:36 am
(102) Will says:

Even in the 1920′s we had short wave hand held communication devices. No so far out of reach for someone to be ahead of the curve on a slimmer hand held one in that time.

If it was a time traveler, they may have technology that did not rely on line of sight to communicate with other devices. We have wireless access points that are located in various locations that in a city those users all over that area can access. Stands to reason, that if someone had the technology to travel through time, they may have advance communication devices that did not need to rely on cell towers and satellites.

Who would of thought of having batteries in ancient Egypt. Well before Christ lived, they have created batteries using thin copy and tin in a ceramic cylinder with lemon juice, creating a current much like a battery.

Weather it is a time traveler or just some advance piece of short waive communication technology, it is possible. Who thought we would have TV, Microwaves, Computers, Space travel or stem cell technology in the 1920’s? It was science fiction and wild imaginations. Those imaginations of yesterday became our reality today. Who is to say the same for today’s imaginative theory’s?

October 28, 2010 at 4:46 am
(103) OwlCityAddict100 says:

Apparently, I think it’s not a time traveller. Maybe he/she is doing something.. odd??

or maybe he/she is. Because, if he/she really did come from a different era, he/she would wear clothes that are in style because that person would leave his/her clothes from where she/he came from. Just like from the Time Traveller’s Wife (movie)

October 28, 2010 at 4:47 am
(104) Crafty says:

I have a video of the real life Chupacabra, you can see it when i promote my indie films…

October 28, 2010 at 4:49 am
(105) sc8s says:

Any one that knows Chaplin was British would easily come to the conclusion that the identity of the time traveling, technology using mystery man is non other than the amazing Doctor Who!

October 28, 2010 at 5:18 am
(106) greg says:

are we sure its from the 1920′s this looks like a movie set who would saddle up a zebra except hollywood.but time travel is possible i guess i mean heck im from planet zoeeta just pass bliptone on the left.you know i saw you ride by my house the other day.naw just joking it looks like a cell phone to me.it looks like charlie chaplin to me.i could see him useing a phone in one of his skits.just for laughs.

October 28, 2010 at 5:22 am
(107) Pegah says:

One point remains unclear. In the film , we can see a man closely preceding the woman. So , if the woman was talking on a mobile phone or something like that , why hasn’t it attracted the attention of the man walking so near to her?
Considering the clear movement of the lips and mouth, one can conclude that the person is talking loud enough to be heard from such short a distance.
Above all, why didn’t this weird thing attract the attention of the cameraman or others in 1928?

October 28, 2010 at 5:24 am
(108) engineer says:

Assuming the footage is not hoaxed either by the person who brought it to all of our attention or by the person who put the old film stock on to DVD format let us evaluate every potential possibility:
Cell phone… as has been pointed out no infrastructure… so not a cell phone.
Time traveler… even a time traveler would not be able to use a cell phone in 1928 without the infrastructure, and if a time traveler from beyond our current time then the communication device he/she is using could be made much smaller. Obviously this person, if time traveler using communication device must be communicating to someone else who has a similar device/technology, but would need to bring the infrastructure to operate the devices with them which may cause the devices to need to be larger than our blue tooth type devices… not eliminated as possibility.
Space traveler/ time traveler… if this individual is from a distant civilization they would likely need to travel through both space and time to arrive in Hollywood in 1928, and the ship they traveled in could be used to relay the communication signal if it remains in geosynchronous orbit over the users of the device… more likely than a time traveler from our future.
Insane person… in 1928 if this individual was seen by people in authority, time traveler or not, they would be escorted to the mental institution where they would likely need to be rescued by their fellow travelers because the doctors would declare them insane and treat them with crude methods used in that time… not likely at all.
part one … to be continued

October 28, 2010 at 5:25 am
(109) engineer says:

As far as it being a 1922 model Beaver Baby Grand radio (the size of about 6 quarters touching each other in a six-pack formation)… http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/beaver_mac_baby_grand_crystal.html the specks show that a headset or speaker is required so a person would not hold it up to their ear, they would hold the speaker or headset to their ear, and I don’t think it worked on batteries so it would need a power source connection… so not a Baby Grand radio or Baby Grand 2 (1925 and slightly larger).
Hearing aid… obviously she is moving quickly and is not accompanied, he/she is speaking but not yelling to a person outside of the camera shot that she is hearing with the hearing aid. The hearing aids of the time were small enough to be the device in the film however the part that was that size was not the part that went to your ear, a cord attached to it and an earpiece went to your ear… not likely a hearing aid.
Time traveler would know not to be in front of camera because before the traveler went back in time he/she would be told by someone to not go in front of that camera due to the current attention the footage is getting… however how else would you be able to test the first attempt at time travel with actual evidence.
Conclusion this is either a space traveler, a test run of a future time traveler or a hoax.
part 2… to be continued

October 28, 2010 at 5:27 am
(110) engineer says:

The film has been edited and cuts away right as the person comes in good view, I would like to see the full length of the original stock film before it was put on DVD to help validate my conclusion. The only way to narrow down these possible conclusions or expand the possibilities is to get the original stock film analyze it frame by frame with a Sears and Robuck catalog from each year from say 1918 to 1929. And take those frames to a deaf person to see if the lips could be read. Or find a rich old lady born prior to 1918 who could afford the expensive shoes this person is wearing and see what they think of the footage. Someone should research who put the stock film on DVD and see if they had something up their sleeve.

October 28, 2010 at 5:33 am
(111) erick says:

I guess the woman (see her footwear) in the footage is probably voice recording something. Probably carrying a recording device (see her right shoulder) connected to a smaller device she’s holding and positioned in her left cheek. It was a German inventor named “Kurt Stille” modified the earlier invented telafraphon in 1920′s. She could be related to him and carried out a test at time she’s caught in the camera. Well! this is just a theoritical guess but probably near the truth than time travel which I believe is impossible.

October 28, 2010 at 5:38 am
(112) Alex says:

Haha, network coverage must have been tremendous back in 1920

October 28, 2010 at 5:41 am
(113) rookie27 says:

if he/she is a time traveler who would he/she be talking to? will a cell phone possibly work in 1920s. is there a possibility that a cell phone will have a signal back then! or is there a cell phone now or in the near future that could generate its own signal!

October 28, 2010 at 5:42 am
(114) annchapman says:

oshB says:

” String Theory would dictate that time is nothing more than the harmonics of a set of particular strings. Time does not exist but more over all time exists simultaneously. Similar to the degradation of a wave, all matter and energy in a relative time harmonic move at a synchronized frequency. Speed up or slow a string wave and it would re-sync (relatively) with it’s most common harmony. Picture the ocean, you can only see as far as the highest wave. Now if the character was re-synced but the RF output on her phone was still operating on the original wave, it would be communicating at real time. Not that time travel would be possible for anything larger than a quark.”

close who ever said it :) v
ery
picture frames
on a tv set
ever slow them down?

what klovely little things we see

drac

October 28, 2010 at 5:43 am
(115) Joe K says:

She was holding a small turd close to her ear to see if she could hear the worms.

October 28, 2010 at 5:58 am
(116) GoddessHayaH says:

We have come a long way with technology in the last 100 years, and we have barely scratched the surface of human potential because we have been divided and focused too much on competition rather than cooperation. This will change in the future; which will make it much more possible to invent more cool technology than we can currently imagine. I can see humanity coming up with ways to travel through time in less than 100 years…so let’s not be so quick to dismiss. If someone from only 100 years was to come to 2010 they would not believe their eyes and think they were on another planet, due to all of the technological advances we have now that they believed were impossible to even conceive back then. Check out my site at coach2012 . com (take out the spaces) for my essay on this cool video….

October 28, 2010 at 6:19 am
(117) Wayne says:

The question that everyone should be asking is who was on the other end?

October 28, 2010 at 6:20 am
(118) Macon says:

She was recording her voicemail greeting.

October 28, 2010 at 6:36 am
(119) Rapidfire67 says:

If that was a cellphone, then the one she was talking to should have been using cellphone too… but wait, how about the cell sites…cellphones wont be operating without cell sites would they?…So my guess is, this time traveller brought some friends and cell sites all along.

October 28, 2010 at 6:45 am
(120) gamvit says:

maybe she was a time traveller. not from our year (2010) but from year 5240 haha

October 28, 2010 at 6:48 am
(121) Jake says:

One thing that might have already been pointed out, where is she going to get service from in 1920? I’m not up on early 20th history, but I am pretty sure there wasn’t a nearby cell tower.

October 28, 2010 at 6:52 am
(122) annchapman says:

::sign::

October 28, 2010 at 6:58 am
(123) Beej says:

Forget the fact that the “time travler” might have been caught on film accidently, why would they risk using some sort of device from their time period on a public street when they could have easily gone someplace a little more private, like an alley or a phone booth or maybe a bathroom stall.

October 28, 2010 at 7:30 am
(124) Pina says:

And then who was he/she talking to? If there were 2 time travellers, there still were no Mobile towers built as yet – even today signal is an issue :-)

October 28, 2010 at 7:36 am
(125) Nelson N says:

E.T. phone home or Beam me up Scotty.

October 28, 2010 at 7:41 am
(126) Ryan says:

Could I ask just one simple question? Aside from the obvious “it’s some gee-whizzy device from the future made of pure unobtainium that can do ANYTHING!!!” how would this person be getting cell reception to the future? I mean dang, I can’t even get cell reception in some major cities…

October 28, 2010 at 7:44 am
(127) Taqi from Malaysia says:

i think that is my modified iphone4..darn..never thought can use it for time travel. darn

October 28, 2010 at 7:45 am
(128) The Observer. says:

It was my wife getting in touch with me.

October 28, 2010 at 7:47 am
(129) skeptic says:

Has anyone noticed while watching this footage that when she pauses in front of the tree and turns her head, she is transparent and the tree behind her is visible through her? Check out the man walking in front of her..you can’t see through him when he walks past the tree, but she is clearly see-through at the same point.. any tech-heads out there have an explanation for that other than she was superimposed on this film?

October 28, 2010 at 7:49 am
(130) Bonzomi says:

Oh please, if that was a cell phone, how could the phone cross through time to contact someone else?

October 28, 2010 at 7:53 am
(131) Helen N. Leston says:

Is this really true? That’s impossible, you are right she/he is talking thru a gadget.

I want to buy that dvd too, to see it.

October 28, 2010 at 7:57 am
(132) tim says:

time traveling woman on a talking on her mobile fone? so if she’s in the 1920′s, there’s already a signal for mobile fon?

October 28, 2010 at 8:04 am
(133) Dave says:

The person couldn’t be talking to anyone, there are no towers for any kind of signal nor satellites to communicate through and there’s no way somebody is calling the future.

October 28, 2010 at 8:06 am
(134) JoG says:

Same way some of us pretend to be singing in a mic by holding a brush to or some other object our mouths , same way that person could have been pretending to talk on some futuristic device by holding a brush or some other object to their ear.

October 28, 2010 at 8:07 am
(135) gaydude says:

i think hes talking to walkey talkey

October 28, 2010 at 8:19 am
(136) Candyman says:

Obviously, this has already been proven to be a hoax, since the scene on the DVD shows no sign of a woman walking through the set with her hand to her ear. But after reading all the post I was left scratching my head. Why is it NOT possible for someone to “pretend” to be talking on a phone or communication device in the 20′s? Life imitates art all the time so couldn’t the idea (talking to someone on a phone while walking the streets) been born many many years before the technology was even ready? Hell, before we had our first reality tv show, there was The Running Man. I know, Arnie was running for his life in the movie, but sooner or later our bordom and need for excitement and ratings will lead to something similar. How many times has someone done somthing stupid or dangerous on Survivor…it’s only a matter or time before we see shows where people are “playing with fire” and cheating death. Were there cell phones around when Maxwell Smart used to talk into his shoe?
I remember a scene in a Morgan Freeman movie when he talks about technology and how the human race isnt always ready for certain discoveries and applications. Things have to be introduced at the right time…you can’t put the cart ahead of the horse. Back in the 50′s, scientist/engineers created or copied a particular metal that could be crumpled, twisted, tied in knotts, or bent numerous times only to return to its original shape. Why hasn’t it hit the assembly lines yet? I for one would love a vehicle that could take a lickin only to look brand new without taking it to the body shop.
Time traveler? Nah…An idea of a brilliant mind? Possibly. Hoax? Probably.

October 28, 2010 at 8:31 am
(137) Smart One NYC says:

If she is time traveler that will be 1920 , right ? That person can travel in time but satellite cant . As I know, nobody had satellite in orbit in 1920 .

October 28, 2010 at 8:34 am
(138) Mike says:

oh boy, you can see the person is holding and ice pack and the it just came out of the !Dentist!………

October 28, 2010 at 8:35 am
(139) JO says:

Look like it was her small purse to cover her face, and she was stop there and said “Oh God, these camera, at me?” I don’t think it was a cell.

October 28, 2010 at 8:35 am
(140) ED says:

This looks like a case for the Fringe division…..

October 28, 2010 at 8:36 am
(141) Smart one says:

Traveler or not, communication satellite didnt exist in 1928 in orbit .

October 28, 2010 at 8:37 am
(142) anonymous says:

seriously guys!!! we can hardly get reception in 2010 on our cell phones immagine in 1920? There were no towers therefore NO reception therefore NO CELL PHONE. That might be her hearing aid or maybe some crazy women walking and talking to herself. :-)

October 28, 2010 at 8:40 am
(143) Pesadilla says:

… and the nuts come out!

October 28, 2010 at 8:48 am
(144) Nightmare says:

If she is a time traveler, she needs to be fired. I mean… not only in public, but in front of a camera. Production sets back then were huge. Anyways. Not a time traveler… just a stunt to sell DVD’s… and it will work. Good work to the advertising department at that studio.

October 28, 2010 at 8:53 am
(145) nic says:

In the 1920s, vacuum tubes were introduced to hearing aids, which made sound amplification more efficient, but enormous batteries still made them cumbersome.

October 28, 2010 at 8:56 am
(146) Dan says:

Even if it was a cell…who would she be calling? There are no cell towers or satellites …

October 28, 2010 at 9:00 am
(147) Tom says:

First of all, let’s assume for a second that time travel is actually possible, and that someone showed up in 1920 with a cell phone. Taking that leap of faith, let me first ask, who the heck is she talking to? No one else, surely, had a cell phone. Ok, so let’s assume that there were 2 of them, and they both brought a cell with them. What cell towers or service providers were facilitating the use of their phones? There will be those, I’m sure that will argue about an advanced technology of some sort, but sorry, I just cannot accept that someone is communicating without any sort of infrastructure whatsoever to facilitate the use of the technology. Or perhaps they brought Verizon wireless with them too?

October 28, 2010 at 9:07 am
(148) Sigmund says:

This is the solution, it has to be!

October 28, 2010 at 9:12 am
(149) Mike says:

Where were the cell phone towers?

October 28, 2010 at 9:14 am
(150) The Doctor says:

Sorry, I kinda got carried away there. That would be my twelfth regeneration. Got tired of being the same gender. After 1000+ years it gets a little boring. But yeah, you have nothing to worry about. Time is just fine, had to make sure The Silence was actually gone.

..River Song says hi.

October 28, 2010 at 9:20 am
(151) My. Theory says:

If the lady indeed traveled past in time and was walking on the streets with her gadget wouldnt someone have noticed? And if someone did, it would have been a huge deal at that time. In fact there would have been atleast some archived record of a woman talking into some unknown device. And if people noticed, she would have changed the course of technology over the next 90 years since then and we would have had cellphones a lot earlier than the 1990s.

October 28, 2010 at 9:36 am
(152) Chow says:

Guys, relax, it was just my sister. She wanted to see how movies were made back then and forgot that her iPhone wouldnt work. She picked it up to make a call and forgot that there were no towers back then. She didnt know that they were actually filming at the time. It’s ok our family has been traveling back and forward in time for as long as I can remember, eventually the rest of the world will catch on and it will be just a thing of the past…

October 28, 2010 at 9:46 am
(153) Reginald says:

There will not be definative proof. Anyone who could explain this has obviously passed on. So no matter how many theories you read or doubts you have, we are left with one question. Who is her carrier?

October 28, 2010 at 9:48 am
(154) Poetics says:

Well, with her having a cell, I’d like to know where the Time Traveling Device is. She looks like a pilot though, the way she’s dressed. Also, your saying this is in a movie? Maybe the author wrote somethint about talking into a different device of their time. We’ll never know, but the clothes shes wearing looks from 1920.

October 28, 2010 at 9:48 am
(155) Lance Corporal says:

I know who it is, it’s the ‘Can You Hear Me Now’ guy from Verizon! Verizon wants to make sure you can get a signal no matter if you are traveling through time…

October 28, 2010 at 10:35 am
(156) Soler says:

Sure her AT&T contract was expired long time ago. Her time traveler boss should be mad after she got on film. Many questions: Did she has good signal? Talking across times spaces…would you imagine her phone bill? Hold on!!! Did she has time traveler internet access to check weather, bank accounts, etc?? etc,etc…

October 28, 2010 at 11:00 am
(157) SeekingTruth says:

This looks like a fake job. The Jay Leno show last night has the same movie clip showing a woman with an I-Pod and a guy driving a Segway, among other things. They were all dressed in the ’20′s period and looked similar to this Chaplin footage!

October 28, 2010 at 11:04 am
(158) SeekTruth says:

Hey, where’s my comment?!!

October 28, 2010 at 12:11 pm
(159) nt says:
October 28, 2010 at 12:24 pm
(160) carl says:

Its my cats birthday today! he reckons its him….bloody daft cat

October 28, 2010 at 1:08 pm
(161) Patsy says:

Someone else mentioned a hearing aid, and I agree. The hearing aids of that time period you held to your ear in the same hand position, I know it doesn’t sound near as cool. But I think that is what is going on. IMO

October 28, 2010 at 1:13 pm
(162) jodie says:

HAHAHA as much as i would love to believe this was true,someone who has just travelled back in time wouldnt be walking around a movie set,chillin on their mobile phone! especially when they’re some old women.you couldnt even use the phone when you got there.but well done to who ever started this for making everyone buy the dvd haha

October 28, 2010 at 2:00 pm
(163) Julia Child says:

It’s true it’s apart of that whole illuminati thing we are being exposed to more truths everyday, government wants us to see this I bet this has been covered up for along time and someone let the cat out of the bag. I hope next time they expose the inner earth theory.

October 28, 2010 at 2:05 pm
(164) Julia child says:

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE !!!!

October 28, 2010 at 3:56 pm
(165) time traveler in drag says:

O cr@p, they caught me. Now I will have 2 go back to 1928 and get my hands on that d@mn film!

btw the cell service sucks on earth in ’28!

October 28, 2010 at 5:32 pm
(166) Bayoucrawdaddy says:

“Chaplin-Man” time traveler identity discovered in 2009 Documentary film “LUNOPOLIS” where he supposedly appears in video footage and photos… with Abe Lincoln.

October 28, 2010 at 7:20 pm
(167) The Weimar Futurist says:

“Können Sie mich jetzt hören? Gut!”

October 28, 2010 at 8:36 pm
(168) paul rakowski says:

It is a hand held radio.

October 28, 2010 at 8:37 pm
(169) Out of the box says:

What if he is from another planet?

October 28, 2010 at 9:35 pm
(170) Ron says:

she could be listening to the old crystal Radio and singing ?

October 28, 2010 at 9:54 pm
(171) The Gerald says:

It’s a tape recorder you dumb bastards.

October 29, 2010 at 12:25 am
(172) From the past says:

Geez! She can get reception on a cell phone across time? Wow! I can’t get it going through a tunnel.

October 29, 2010 at 9:31 am
(173) Eishal says:

To all : Get a Job

October 29, 2010 at 1:13 pm
(174) SoundMnd&Body says:

hmmmmm….let’s see here….hmmmm….the guy is involved with promoting a film festival. he’s a movie maker. hmmmm…could this be a PROMOTION for himself or the festival? Could this be showing off the talent he or a local townsfolk have with their EDITING/PHOTOSHOPPING SKILLS? IF this CRAP IS TRUE….from when is he from? If this is a premier for the movie, there could be more than one camera angle. Just not sure how well those things from then are preserved. It’s aWONDERFUL grey area, isn’t it?

I’m waiting for it ALL TO FALL INTO P LACE!!!!

October 29, 2010 at 1:17 pm
(175) James says:

This video is SOO easy to explain.

First, the lady is holding a hand wallet…a small formal purse…my grandmother had several of these 4×6 formal little hand bags.

Second, watch the video….she’s obviously henpecking and chewing out her husband…the man who storms through the scene ahead of her. He rushes through the scene angry and determined. She, being aware of the camera across the street, holds her handbag up to hide her face as she is chewing his butt out while following behind him. She is obviously angry at him as evidenced by how aggressively she is clutching her wallet…and the fact she won’t stop yelling at him.

Marital bliss…circa 1928…

October 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm
(176) Doh! says:

A cellphone?! … really?
So which cellular provider do you suppose their contract is with ….?

… look closely, I think there’s an iPad and a 3D TV in there too!

October 29, 2010 at 6:09 pm
(177) BB says:

You need a cell tower for a cell to work. If they didnt have cell phones then im pretty sure they didnt have the tower to make them work.

October 30, 2010 at 10:40 pm
(178) randomjabroni says:

I don’t believe this is a time traveller, and I think the plausible explanations stated before (hearing aid, etc) are all very good.

It is an interesting bit of footage, for sure. To our modern-day brains, it does appear that she is speaking on a cell phone! Our brains try to explain unusual things in ways that are familiar to us. Thus, we see a person speaking on a cellphone, even though it isn’t a cell phone.

What I wanted to address are the claims that if she were a time traveller, she would be wearing futuristic clothes. Not necessarily. Perhaps she wanted to blend in with people from the time period by wearing period clothing. Time to pull from my years of sci-fi nerdiness: there are numerous Star Trek (original series) episodes where Kirk (et al) has to dress in period clothing, yet still uses his communicator (which also looked much like a cellphone), tricorder, phaser, etc…

October 31, 2010 at 9:46 am
(179) schubox says:

If she is talking on a mobile, it’s connected via the mother ship she/they arrived on and relayed back to the future. I must say if this is the case she is being rather careless (typical bloody tourists) as any attention drawn to her and her device could have her surrounded by curious observers then followed by a state of panic when they realise her device is not of this world and neither must she be which lands her in government hands never to be seen again!
So no I don’t think a time traveller would be that careless, seriously, think about it!

November 1, 2010 at 11:24 am
(180) Delandax says:

All crime scens investigators have a code. “Look for the simpelest explination.” The basic facts are usually right.Life is not as complicated as we would like/make it to be. With that in mind; The first clue: It is a movie set, so go from there. The person is obviously an actor/actress.Holding a hand/fist to the ear to reduce the noise from the set. She is rehersing her lines.The hand placement could also be part of the act.Simple.This explains it all, including the costume,shoes and actions. Did you know that left handed people were not very popular in that age? Children were discouraged from using the left hand and forced to change sides. Just an observation. Why did I say that? If this person had been using their right hand we would not be having this conversation.

November 8, 2010 at 12:18 am
(181) MADA says:

another possible reason is that prolly she/he is not a time traveller – in fact prolly the technology of a “speaking device” has alrwdy evolved n only a certain number of “special pple” has the priviliege to use them – prolly its been conceal by the govt..jus a thought..

November 15, 2010 at 10:58 pm
(182) Sherlock Holmes says:

Firstly, could all brilliant geniuses out there please stop mentioning the fact the mobile phones could not possibly work in the 1920’s due to the lack of supporting phone towers. Reading the blatantly obvious statement 3497839483 times almost made me tare my hair out. Clearly one would assume that people capable of time travel have the means to overcome the small problem of ‘bad reception’. I’m not one to rule out time travel but I can understand other people’s reservations into buying into such an idea.

It is much more likely that this is an advertising stunt designed by the film maker, George Clarke, to gain publicity and further his career. On this basis, it is most likely that A) the scene has been edited by Clarke to achieve the publicity; or B) that the footage is unaltered – in which case time traveler and hearing aid theories alike are plausible. Clearly the original footage will answer this question.

April 13, 2011 at 6:48 pm
(183) Genius says:

Maybe its not a cell phone, maybe its her time travel device…

November 1, 2012 at 5:16 am
(184) freehostina.com says:

Ϻу prοgrаmmеr is trying tо conνince mе tο move to .
net from PΗP. І haѵe аlωayѕ ԁisliκed thе iԁеa beсаuse of the cοsts.
But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve bееn using Movable-tуpe on
a varietу of webѕіtes foг about a yeaг аnd am anxious abоut
ѕωitсhing to anοthеr platfoгm.
ӏ haѵe heard fantаstic things аbout blogеngine.
nеt. Ιs therе a ωаy I сan transfer all mу wordpress cоntеnt into
it? Аnу hеlρ ωoulԁ be gгeatly aρpгeciated!

February 8, 2013 at 10:47 am
(185) comedian charlie chaplin says:

Today, I went to the beach front with my children. I
found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and
said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.
There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had
to tell someone!