1. News & Issues

Stephen Wagner

Friday Poll: What are visions in near-death experiences?

By October 20, 2012

There have been recent news articles about the near-death experience, in which people report traveling through a tunnel of light, being greeted by friends and relatives who have passed before, and even meetings with spiritual beings. And these reports have reignited the debate about such experiences. Those who have had these experiences are very often convinced that they have seen the afterlife, while skeptics say that the visions were nothing more than hallucinations caused by brain chemistry or lack of oxygen to the brain. What do you think?

Comments

October 20, 2012 at 7:47 pm
(1) Scott says:

The NDEs sometimes seem pretty remarkable to me. You wonder why this doctor has this elaborate vision when the thinking part of his brain has nearly completely shut down. You’d think you would not get much in the way of any type of visual experience at all when their is very little of the brain activity left. And yet a lot of people are having the NDEs. Many times such as in his case he is brought back to his body. If true you have people seeing the other side yet not being dead. I don’t think this is a spiritual mistake. I wonder if this process is more scientific and less spiritual. In other words it’s an automatic law of nature response. If true it’s also telling us there’s a part of the universe or existence we haven’t yet touched. I wonder if it’s possible to get this place through scientific means.

October 21, 2012 at 10:55 am
(2) shirley says:

Too many people experience going through a ‘long dark tunnel’ at mach warp speed and awake suddenly and others actually see something along or at the end of it as a light or beings. It seems something else might control our minds and even in the cases of extraterrrestrial abductions. Too many people experience these similar things.

October 22, 2012 at 9:52 am
(3) Moonshine says:

I am a great believer in the afterlife, as I have wonderful experiences with loved ones in the spirit world. I spend most days learning as much as I can about the spirit world, in fact I am more interested in the afterlife, than this life in this world.

October 22, 2012 at 1:37 pm
(4) Brenda says:

While a few of these NDEs may actually be real, I believe that most of them are hallucinations resulting from illness.

I’ve been sick enough to have hallucinations a couple of times, not sick enough to be near death, and they seem extremely real at the time. When I was recovering later, and the hallucinations ended as a result, I realized that that was what they were.

October 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm
(5) Bonnie says:

I think these trips down a tunnel sounds a whole lot like a baby being born. A baby travels thru a dark passageway and sees a bright light at the end. Plus there is usually people there to greet and love the baby.

So as a baby being born into a new life maybe in death we are also carried in to a new type of life again.

The dark tunnel is just a passaway to a new existance.

October 24, 2012 at 9:11 am
(6) cat lady says:

I have been very sick, as a child, with high fevers. And did hallucinate. Did drugs in my very early life, and did hallucinate. Then died one day and experienced a NDE. It was nothing like hallucination from drugs or being sick. And no, I was not on drugs when I died. I believe, very firmly, that there is life after physical death. The hallucination while sick and on drugs were very real seeming, but they were nothing like NDE.