1. News & Issues

Stephen Wagner

Best Paranormal Reality Shows

By November 16, 2012

Which paranormal-themed reality shows do you like best? Here are the shows that I enjoy the the most:

• Paranormal Witness (Syfy) - first-hand accounts of ghost encounters, weird creature sightings, and UFO experiences.
  • Celebrity Ghost Stories (bio.) - true stories of ghosts and other paranormal experiences from well-known (and some not-so-well-known) actors, singers, and personalities.
  • My Ghost Story (bio.) - everyday people tell their first-hand accounts with ghosts, hauntings, and poltergeist phenomena.

What I like about these shows it that the stories and the people who tell them are rather believable, and the re-enactments are done, for the most part, without exaggerated effects and gimmicky camera work. Of course they try to make the episodes scary, but considering they are made as television entertainment, and compared to what some other shows have done, they are pretty understated and let the stories tell themselves.

Comments

November 17, 2012 at 7:47 am
(1) Derek says:

My Ghost Story on the Bio channel is probably the most aggravating paranormal show out there. Each episode features the stories of people who can turn the sounds of a settling house into a poltergeist infestation, bugs and dust motes gliding though the IR light of their cameras into indisputable proof of wandering spirits amongst us. It’s a show which shows how easily people who want to believe trick themselves into doing just that, and more.

November 18, 2012 at 12:03 pm
(2) Ashley says:

I literally watch ALL the paranormal shows that come on TV. But my fave to watch is Ghost Adventures that comes on the Travel channel. The three guys seem like they are truthful in what all they do in investigating a place that is haunted. The show keeps my interest even though sometimes I think in some cases they fabricate for TV purposes only. I tried recently watching Celebrity Ghost Stories on Bio. channel but just something about the way the celebs tell their stories sound like they are reading and acting out scripts. A lot of the celebrities are actors, so it makes me think, fake maybe? I don’t want to watch a ghost show that comes off as unbelievable. But that’s just my opinion! :)

November 19, 2012 at 11:58 am
(3) Deb says:

What everyone needs to understand is that whether they say they are true stories or not they are ALL entertainment and not to be taken as fact.
To keep up ratings they must raise the bar and make them extraordinary.
Most investigations are rather boring with no demons fighting you, no scratches, no one being killed or maimed, often nothing happens at all. That doesn’t make for good ratings so they embellish them to make them what they are not.
This takes them from being true to being fiction.
I am a paranormal investigator and I know whats real and what isn’t, most of what you see on any paranormal show is not what this is about.

November 19, 2012 at 12:20 pm
(4) D says:

I Like Ghost Hunters (your mileage may vary) because I like to see investigators who make an effort to explain noises, images, etc. as ordinary things before declaring it paranormal. For that reason, I don’t like Ghost Adventures because they declare EVERYTHING proof of a haunting (and does Zach Baggins (sp?) have to scream the entire show?). My Ghost Story has some gems, but you have to put up with breathless announcements of paranormal activity for every dust mote or questionable noise. Paranormal Witness – no thanks. If you have to augment the story with actors wearing professional makeup or CGI, then I’m not interested.

I do like Fact or Faked because they also go out of their way to explain things before declaring it fact (and they have some amazing footage, whether real or not). Destination Truth is a great show, too. They get some great evidence, but I love the adventures they go on to get it.

November 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm
(5) Bast says:

I like School Spirits (for the most part), Paranormal Witness, Fact or Faked, Destination Truth, Celebrity Ghost Stories, and Ghost Hunters. I even liked Ghost Hunters International. I don’t like Ghost Adventures (too much screaming/shouting) and My Ghost Story (orbs don’t do it for me), but I think it’s great that there’s something for everyone out there.

November 19, 2012 at 1:34 pm
(6) Kenny says:

Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files is the BEST Paranormal show and it belongs on this list! Instead of going all TAPS and pretending to find stuff they don’t, they actually give specific evidence of what the “ghosts” might actually be.

November 19, 2012 at 1:40 pm
(7) Jim Hurray says:

I really like School Spirits. Listening to there stories is very intresting. This is how I rate my favorites.

1 Ghost Hunters (but lost something since Grant left)

2 Psychic Kids (please do more stories!)

3 Paranormal State (oldie but goodie)

4 My Ghost Story (many too false but find some believeable)

5 School Spirits (one of the best)

6 Ghostly Encounters (class A but need more new stories)

7 Ghost Hunters International (Very good keep em comming)

8 Haunted Collector (ok show that works with objects)

9 Celebrity Ghost Stories (Yea I will watch it but too many repeats)

10 A Haunting (very good oldie but goodie)

November 19, 2012 at 2:40 pm
(8) DR_FRAWIN says:

In my opinion you have to take them all with a grain of salt. After all every one knows that a tall tale passed off as the truth is more exciting than the truth itself. The paranormal shows are on television for two reasons, one is to entertain us and two is to make money- number two reason being the most important.

I ususally watch all the shows that I can tune into for no other reason than to escape reality for awhile- my favorites being documentary type shows and the series The Unexplained. I also welcome the shows that deal with other aspects of the paranormal like the Bigfoot and UFOs- after all ghosts don’t have a monopoly on the paranormal.

November 19, 2012 at 4:38 pm
(9) Tiffany says:

I really like My Ghost Story, Paranormal Witness, School Spirits the best. Although I do watch the Paranormal Investigating shows, the “stories/evidence” type shows are my favorites.

And I love Destination Truth!

November 19, 2012 at 5:44 pm
(10) Paul says:

Celebrity Ghost Stories – in many instances these stories are made up by minor stars whose careers are stalling -it’s free publicity for them. What have they go to lose?

November 19, 2012 at 5:48 pm
(11) jenny says:

If you are an ex Baywatch star who hasn;t had a part for years – what have you got to lose? A producer may pick up the phone and contact you.

November 19, 2012 at 6:40 pm
(12) Terri says:

My favorite show is “A Haunting”. Not sure why but the episode with the family in a house that had a vampire creature in the wall creeped me out more than any other episode.

Also really like Ghostly Encounters and My Ghost Story.

Ghost Adventures and the others are good, but they need to make more NEW EPISODES. So tired of seeing the same old-same old.

November 20, 2012 at 2:31 am
(13) Sam says:

‘Sensing Murder’ was an unsolved murder series in New Zealand – using tested psychic mediums to help provide additional information on unsolved murders/missing persons, creeey and spine chilling footage of how they connect or tune-in to victims at the time of death. The accuracy of the psychics involved and the details they reveal is captivating viewing. Original idea was a success in the Nertherlands and coincided with other psychics in mainstream media (Alison Dubois and Paul McKenna). Ghost Hunters (NZ) was spooky. A trio of curious psi researchers investigate alleged sightings of paranormal activity using technology to measure and record evidence (or not) of ghosts – spending a night in a closed and run down mental institution with some nasty unwelcoming spirits is not for the faint hearted!!

November 20, 2012 at 5:11 am
(14) Teresa says:

My fave by far is Paranormal Witness; just love every aspect of it!

November 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm
(15) Patricia says:

I like a lot of the shows out there too. A Haunting and Paranormal Witness have both had some really excellent stories. I like the fact that Paranormal Witness had some classic ones this season like the Dybbuk Box and the Travis Walton abduction. School Spirits had some pretty good ones too.

I like Ghost Hunters International and Destination Truth in the paranormal investigation category. I used to like Ghost Hunters but they are really missing something since Grant left.

There are a couple that are genuinely awful too in my opinion because their researchers are idiots. Haunted Collector and Fact or Faked makes me beat my head against the wall they are so dense.

November 23, 2012 at 1:05 am
(16) max says:

In my view, nothing can touch the British show “Afterlife” starring Lesley Sharp. Two short series that left me wanting more, it was gritty and realistic with none of the glitzy glamour, over-fast pace and neat endings so common in American shows. Lesley Sharp is no raving beauty, and her portrayal of a psychic medium being driven mad by the things she sees and experiences is riveting. Through the series, she becomes reconciled with her dead parents, and the sceptical university lecturer writing a book on her is a perfect foil for her paranormality. Wonderful stuff!

November 25, 2012 at 3:03 pm
(17) shirley says:

‘Strange but True’ a series on ITV in UK commentator Michael Aspel).

November 27, 2012 at 2:12 am
(18) thisisweird says:

ok my comment is not about a show but about something that is truly happening in my home the activity started about 3 months ago (been living in home 3 years) it started with my childrens stuffed animals tumbling down the stairs we blew it off and didnt think twice then lights strarted to come on (lights that havent worked since moving in) then foot steps dark shadows that dont disapear once your eyes focus and then soon after fade away, we here a small laugh or giggle but it almost sounds like its in the wall. BUT TODAY WAS SOMETHING IVE NEVER EXPERIENCED BEFORE I WAS IN LOWER LEVEL OF MY HOME (3 levels in home) I HEARD SOMEONE RUN UP THE UP STAIRS I CALLED OUT THINKING MY 16 HAD COME HOME AND GOT NO RESPONSE I WENT TO MAIN LEVEL CALLED OUT NO RESPONSE I WENT ALL THE WAY UP CHECKED EVERY ROOM NO ONE THERE!!! I WENT BACK TO THE LOWER LEVEL AND BEGAN HEARING LOAD HARD FOOTSTEPS GOING FROM MY LIVING ROOM TO KITCHEN (i thought for sure someone broke in) I CALLED OUT AND YELLED I HAVE A GUN GET OUT OF HERE AND STILL HEARING STOMPING IN THE KITCHEN I CALLED MY DAUGHTER AND SAID IF YOU ARE HERE PLAYING A JOKE ITS NOT FUNNY SHE SAID NO MOM IM AT SCHOOL! I TOLD HER WHAT WAS HAPPENENIING AND PUT THE PHONE ON SPEAK SHE COULD HEAR THE BANGING OF THE FOOTSTEPS THROUGH THE PHONE! i JUST COULDNT SIT THERE ANY LONGER I GRABBED A KNIFE AND HEADED TO THE STAIRS TOWARDS THE KITCHEN AS I GOT TO THE TOP OF THE STAIRS ALL NOISES STOPPED AND I SCREAMED AND SCREAMED EVERY SINGLE CABINET WAS OPEN IN MY KITCHEN BOTTOM TOP AND EVEN THE ONES WE CANNOT REACH THERE WERE THINGS FROM THE FRIDGE PLACED ON THE FLOOR AND ONE OF MY KITCHEN CHAIRS WAS SETTING IN THE MIDDLE OF MY LIVINGROOM I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO FIND OUT IF THIS IS GOOD OR BAD ENERGY SOMEONE HELP PLEASE MY EMIAL IS KJSINGLETON77@YAHOO.COM THANK YOU