1. News & Issues

Stephen Wagner

Reader Report: Elevator Time Slip

By November 29, 2012

"This happened to me on November 5, 2012," reports Sandra. "I was in the elevator at the central branch of the public library, on my way up to the sixth floor from the main floor. I watched the floor indicator lights as the elevator rose:  2... 3... 4...5....  When the elevator doors opened to what should have been the sixth floor, I was in the basement! There was no indication that time had passed, nor was there a sensation of going down. I was alone in the elevator, so there was no one to ask what the heck  just happened.

"Either I experienced a time slip, or I had a blackout that lasted long enough for the elevator to reach the sixth floor, the door to open and close, and the elevator to go all the way down into the basement. As I have no history of blacking out, I lean towards thinking it was a time slip. It is a very weird sensation when something like that happens."

So what do you think of Sandra's report, readers? A simple mechanical malfunction? Or did something more extraordinary take place? But she's right about such a thing feeling weird, as these other experiencers of possible time slips would confirm:

Comments

November 29, 2012 at 8:49 pm
(1) tin says:

Perhaps,it was a mechanic malfunction ,she did not said if she was listening to any music with the earphones also,i have been on a lot of elevators and, modern elevators you do not feel if you are going down or up.

November 30, 2012 at 1:06 am
(2) sandra says:

I was not wearing earphones or listening to music. The weird thing was, the elevator went from the 5th floor to the basement literally in the blink of an eye. It was not normal.

December 1, 2012 at 11:23 pm
(3) Visara says:

I would get checked for blackouts, or narcolepsy if I were you.

December 3, 2012 at 11:02 am
(4) Brenda says:

What I find disturbing is that the elevator went to the basement. Most building elevators seem to be programmed to either return to the 1st floor or to operate within a range of floors unless called.

If Sandra blacked out (this bothers me because I had a friend who died of brain cancer and the main symptom were micro-blackouts, where she would lose just a second or two, stay in position), who pushed the button for the basement? And even newer elevators still take a few seconds to travel between floors.

So, while it seems small, it is disturbing.

December 3, 2012 at 11:59 am
(5) Roberto Nieves says:

Sometimes in this shadow world in which we live, and take for reality, the unexplained does occur. Our very existence here is very mysterious and strange. On occasion, some of us get glimpses into other realities and find it most perplexing. Perhaps sometimes creatures or beings from other realities get brief, unexpected visits to our reality as well and we experience them as unexplained appearances of creatures or beings from the unknown. Maybe on occasion realities converge and allow us to, but for a fleeting moment, experience “other.”

Perhaps Bigfoot, Moth-man, giant birds, Black-eyed people, Shadow people, time slips and other phenomena are examples of this convergence of realities. One thing is for sure though, these things happen to too many people and too often for them to be blackouts, hallucinations, delusions or mechanical malfunctions. Some things just are.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

December 3, 2012 at 3:12 pm
(6) Frank R. Santariga says:

Since you never felt the sensation of rising, I would have to agree with “tin” that it was definitely a mechanical malfunction.

December 3, 2012 at 3:26 pm
(7) sandra says:

Brenda : When the elevator reached the basement, where the Children’s section of the library is located, a young woman with a stroller got on. Presumably, she pushed the button.

December 3, 2012 at 3:29 pm
(8) sandra says:

Brenda : When the elevator reached the basement, where the childrens’ section of the library is located, a young woman with a stroller got on. Presumably she pushed the button.

December 3, 2012 at 3:31 pm
(9) sandra says:

Fran R, Santariga : Why did the elevator NOT open at the sixth floor, although I had pushed the button ? How did it get down five floors in the blink of an eye, when it ought to have taken at least a minute or more ?

December 4, 2012 at 5:15 am
(10) abey says:

When I’m absentminded I too had that sort of experiences.

December 5, 2012 at 6:20 pm
(11) Cherie L. says:

I’ve gotten into elevators when they open for my floor, not paying attention to the up/down arrow above the door. Then I’ve pushed the button for my floor – only to realize that the elevator was going down because it was called to another floor before I got on… I’ve done this more than once when I was distracted.
I’m not saying that’s what happened here, but it certainly is annoying and unsettling when you aren’t expecting it, huh?

You didn’t mention if you checked the time. I’d be worried if I’d lost time while in the elevator, not if it only took a few seconds. Elevators work at different speeds and acceleration isn’t necessarily noticeable, not in well-maintained or new equipment. (My worst experiences were with noisy, rattling, and especially misaligned elevators. Can be heart-stopping when you arrive half a foot higher than the floor!)

Anyway, whatever did happen, you aren’t losing it.

December 6, 2012 at 12:20 pm
(12) Kath says:

Take heart s you are not alone on this. It has not only happen to me quit alot but a few other people I know. It is just people do not want to talk about it for the good reasons we all know will be said. But not to worry its happen to alot of us.

December 20, 2012 at 10:10 am
(13) kimberly says:

I find it really funny that all these people are giving explainations that just do not fit in with what happened to this woman. Time slips do happen, and you’re seldom prepared for them–after all, how would one prepare?! Not sure if the naysayers are on the correct website–this is about paranormal happenings, not commonplace happenings.