1. News & Issues

Stephen Wagner

Poll: What are you doing December 21, 2012?

By December 1, 2012

Now that we have entered December, it's time to count down to December 21, 2012 -- the date on which some calculate the Mayan calendar ends. Doomsayers fear that the date will mark the beginning of the end -- the Apocalypse.  Far more optimistic people believe that it will be a turning point of enlightenment or spiritual awakening for mankind.

Most people dismiss both ideas, however, suspecting that life will go on pretty much as it has: there will be war and strife around the world, and there will also be those who strive for peace and solutions to our problems. But to think that the world will suddenly flop to one extreme or the other is unlikely.

I'm sure there will be December 21 parties, harolding in whatever happens with loud music and vodka shots; some might hunker down in their basements, hoping to survive the meteor strike; and some might gather on rooftops to greet the benevolent space aliens who will save us all from our primitive ignorance.

What about you? Are you planning to do anything different or unusual on December 21? Take the poll, and give us your reasons in the comments section.

Comments

December 1, 2012 at 11:55 pm
(1) Des says:

Unfortunately it is the day before my birthday. Wee…

December 2, 2012 at 8:24 am
(2) montystacy93 says:

I’m planning on having a small family/friend party. It will be interesting to see just what will happen, if anything, that day. However, the date itself, being the winter solstice, is considered a sabbat and “magical”. Whatever is to happen, or not, is best met with positivity and merriment. :)

December 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm
(3) Kt8 says:

I’m gonna strap a pillow to my head and hide under my bed with a family size bag of crisps and ride it out whatever the outcome

December 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm
(4) Matthias Greygone says:

Tribulation is definitely upon us. I, one of the awakened, will be watching what is to be from above the clouds. Many himans will return their flesh to the earth. Earth will become a living hell. All spiritual existence of this planet will have ascended. If I am around to write again on the 22, I will know that I am wrong. And I will rejoice in my soul that life was spared.

December 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm
(5) TLM says:

Well, it IS Solstice after all! I am running in a 5k, and then going to watch a wicker mammoth burn.

December 3, 2012 at 8:54 am
(6) Craig says:

In my opinion the Mayan calender was a work in progress.They were all wiped out by man exploring the world;the Mayans were living their lives as normal people do .When the explorers came they brought diseases that they were never exposed to before.these diseases decimated the Mayn populations leaving no one to continue on the newer calender.Dec 21 maybe a day of changes more enlighttment. tolerance etc. Ithink it will be just another day on this planet earth.I will go to work and carry on with my life no matter how long or short it can be.I hope everyone has a great day on the 21 Craig

December 3, 2012 at 10:33 am
(7) wojciech says:

If I’m here it will just be another day if not I won’t know anything about it so why worry.it’s how you are going to die.in peace or in pain.

December 3, 2012 at 11:09 am
(8) Crystal says:

It’s not just the Mayans, it’s the Hopi Indians too. Many cultures all around the world mark Dec 21 2012 as a very special day–THE END OF LIFE AS WE KNOW IT.
I plan on being home with my hubby. I am not afraid of anything happening, but it’s on my mind. And if something does happen, we can’t do anything about it anyway.

December 3, 2012 at 11:31 am
(9) Bonnie says:

I answered yes because my family from 3 states always gets together sometime in Dec before Christmas to have our Family Christmas together. Then everyone can be in their own homes on Christmas day. This year we decided to hold the family get-together the week end of the 21st saying IF it ends there is no one better that we would want to be with.

If it doesn’t end we still have a good time celebrating Christmas together, A win win situation.

December 3, 2012 at 12:55 pm
(10) Tasha says:

The Bible plainly says that no one, not even the angels in heaven know when the last day will be. So if God isn’t going to tell the angels, what makes you think he is going to tell anyone else? I thinks it’s just best to be prepared now, you are not promised tomorrow, even if the world continues as it has since creation.

December 3, 2012 at 1:26 pm
(11) dawn says:

I am going to be listening to the news to see what will happen. I have some books on doomsday and I have read two of them. I’m going to read the rest of them as well.

December 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm
(12) shirley says:

I shall be watching world events especially on this day. Another reminder is when the Indian Tsunami broke news on Boxing day who could have predicted that day beforehand to be believed.

December 4, 2012 at 5:07 pm
(13) Timbrook says:

We will be heading south to spend Christmas with our kids, 1,100 miles down the road, down the Alaska Highway. Then if we’re still here on New Year’s Eve, we’ll be heading home again.

December 6, 2012 at 12:18 pm
(14) Bob Ely says:

I heard once that maybe someone came up with a solution to time travel and on 12/21/2012 it is suppose to be tried out. We’ll see.

December 17, 2012 at 12:59 pm
(15) SweetP says:

I will stay home and avoid all of the lunatics out there who are going to do something incredibly stupid

December 19, 2012 at 9:46 pm
(16) Dave Menor says:

goin out’ 2 party in vegas overnite..

December 19, 2012 at 9:52 pm
(17) Dale says:

Party like it’s the end of the world?