RECORD SOME AUDIO
There are two reasons for doing this:
- You want to document your attempted communication with the spirit.
- You might at least get an EVP (electronic voice phenomena) from it. Even though you might not hear anything at the time of the recording, you might hear something on the recording when you review it later.
CALL OTHERS IN
If you are alone but there are others nearby, in an adjacent room perhaps, calmly call them in. This will help confirm what you are experiencing. More witnesses to an event this extraordinary are better than one.
Again, be calm. Don't shout. And prepare them for what they will (hopefully) see; you don't want them freaking out and getting all hysterical. Keep them all calm and respectful. You want this to be a special, even reverent experience for all involved.
Having more people as personal witnesses will also mean that they can additionally document the experience with their cameras and recorders. The more documentation, the better.
WAIT IT OUT
Simply see what happens. The spirit might be visible for just a few seconds or, if you're lucky, for a minute or more.
Do not leave while the apparition is still visible - not even to fetch someone else. Watch it. Take note of what it does and how it reacts. Even if it disappears, wait around for a little while. Perhaps it will return.
I cannot stress enough the importance of documenting this remarkable experience. Even if you have taken pictures, captured video and recorded audio, you should also make a written account. It will be important and interesting to see how your personal experience differs from the recorded experience.
Your written notes should include:
- Where it happened (as specific as possible)
- When it happened - date and time
- Environmental factors - What was the weather, even if you were inside
- The duration of the event
- What the apparition looked like, again being as specific as possible, without embellishment:
- Male or female
- Estimated age
- Posture - Standing? Sitting?
- Race, color of hair and other personal attributes, if discernable
- Type and color of clothes
- Facial expressions
- Full-bodied or partial apparition
- Other elements - Did it have a cane? Umbrella? Pipe? for example
- Its movements - Was it stationary or did it move about?
- Where did it go? Did it simply vanish or did it move out of the room? Did it appear to walk or simply float?
- Did it try to communicate? What did it say? Or what were the impressions or feelings you got from it?
Be as detailed as you can with your descriptions, and be completely honest. Encourage any other witnesses to do the same so that you can compare notes.
It has been noted that ghost phenomena - whether they are residual or intelligent hauntings - tend to recur. So return to the spot where you encountered the ghost. Try to make it at the same time of day and under similar circumstances.
Perhaps you'll get lucky a second time. This time, however, you can be more prepared with your cameras and other equipment. There is no guarantee, of course, that the spirit will re-appear. These phenomena seem to happen where and when they want to. But now at least you'll know what to do if you see a ghost.