Brief history: St. Joseph's was founded as a Catholic girls' academy in 1809 by Elizabeth Ann Seton, better known as Mother Seton, who later was canonized as a Catholic saint. Over the years, the school grew into a college of liberal arts for women. The college closed in 1973 and the campus was bought by the U.S. Government to house the National Emergency Training Center. During the Civil War, the campus served as a field hospital for wounded soldiers -- a reason, no doubt, for much of its haunting activity.
Ghosts: Those who attended the college before it closed its door still recall some of the phenomena that took place there:
- Sightings of the ghosts of Civil War nurses carrying away buckets of bloody amputated body parts
- Sounds of the screams of wounded and dying soldiers
- The powerful smells of the long-gone hospital
- The friendly ghost of Mother Seton herself has been seen walking the campus, possibly hurrying to attend to the injured soldiers.