From the article: The "Old Hag" Syndrome
Many people have experienced this bizarre phenomenon. You feel awake, but you can't move. Sometimes you feel like something is holding you down. Sometimes you sense a presence in the room. Tell us about your experience with the Old Hag Syndrome. Do you think it's natural... or something paranormal? Share your story
- I've had a similar experience only I don't know if it will qualify as a hag or not because, 1) whatever it was it was male & 2) I didn't feel a weight and thought for sure I was screaming. Here goes anyways. I was 13-14 yrs old and I'd gone to bed early. I awoke feeling terrified. I look around my room and see a dark shadowy man at the foot of my bed. I started clutching at my blankets and screaming for my sister, but I couldn't get up. I was beyond scared. My sister never came and after what felt like forever I could get up again. I ran out of my room crying and asking my sister why she didn't help me. My sister swears she didn't hear a thing. She was two rooms away. It's never happened again, thank God. It sucked while it did.
- —Guest AMead
a witchy sound
- it happend the other nyt..i was sleepin then i felt somthing, i cant move i felt a presence somewhat like a strong spirit pressure. i prayed and imagined i am stronger that battle last more than 30 secs. with a strong will like pushing a car i said to my body move and then i woke up but i heard something strange too. as i can remember it said iccccct icccccct icccct a high pitched sound of an old woman, more like laughing..my brother r watching tv at that time at also heard that noise and was baffled. 3 of us hear it then a looked for my flash lyt and went outside i found nothin no so i conclude its n spirit form and can materialize a laugh that people will know its existence
Outside of body experience (old hag)
- Im 15 and I've had dreams where I couldn't move before but I woke up without anything else happening, until last night when I sensed that I couldn't move although I had been awake for a few minutes, I heard a loud buzzing noise in my ears and a weight on my chest I couldn't move I started breathing heavily as I usually did when I became immobilised but this Time I didn't wake up I opened my eyes and there was a figure at the base of my bed when I saw her it got about 3x worse and then she started to come around the side of the bed and I tried to scream and call for mum but my lips would not work all I could do was mumble and I felt like she was choking me. It was the most terrifying thing that has ever happened to me, you will not know unless you have experienced it yourself.
- —Guest Michael
- I have always been disturbed by the presence near me when this happens, but the worst part for me is the loud horrible buzzing that I both feel and hear. Often, I have a head ache for hours afterward. Any one else experience this?
- —Guest Jay
The devil itself
- I Started when i was 15yrs of age. I was taken alot of illicit drugs around that period when one night. I was sleeping wand was awoken by this horrifying scretch coming from the the air at the back of the garden. I never had heard anthing as terrifying it was like a banshe. At the time i couldnt move, but before i heard it there was voices of children which sounded like they were in a playground but it wasnt a happy feeling i was experiencing. it was nothing i can describe. it was kind of fuzzy like a radio volume being turned up and down and huge anxiety was rushing through me but i couldn't move. then this banshe sounded as if it was travelling 100 miles an hour towards my bedroom window which faced the back garden. it felt like hours even though it must have been a couple of seconds. the terrifying scream got nearer and nearer until it hit a picture of marilyn monroe and after that i couldnt hear it anymore. I then could move so i jumped up, switched the light on to see my dog at
- —Guest Marianne Griffin
Chocked her too
- My experience yesterday was the same as Bryan's. It was still morning (6am). I have a black eye mask on and my bed sheet wrapped around my face. Suddenly I became aware that I am sleeping and heard this ringing sound I hear whenever I go AP(many times before but always unsuccessful) then I can see my room very clearly. Then suddenly, a woman with gray skin, thin messy hair shoulder length with dark gray eyes appeared in front of my face staring at me. I don't know why and what came to my mind but I suddenly chocked her and we just stared at each other. Then I felt the ringing sound is vanishing but I steel feel my body numb/weak/cold like always after the failed APs (please give me tips about this). Then the room started to become darker and darker then I realized that I have an eyemask on and bed sheet wrapped around my head. When I removed those, I saw my room again just like what I saw in the experience I had.
- —Guest ralph
First time old hag
- This morning was my first time seeing her. I have had sleep paralysis 2 times before and never saw her before today. I had been dreaming all night and this last dream i awoke to see her staring at my face. i could not move but could open my eyes. I starred at her scared until I got mad, I started to look at her angrily and slowly I got back movement in my right arm. I reached up to grab her throat and was released from the sleep paralysis fully awake and mobile. It was scary but after being able to "attempt" to choke her and get released not scary as much now. :)
- —Guest Bryan
Scary isnt the word!
- in short almost every night between age 12-20..a heavy force holding me down unable to call out to anyone yet trying my hardest,often fought til unconsciousness waking after the fact,resistance often meant the force being stronger(to the point once i swear i left my body)another time witnessed it(heard)my lil sis being attacked jumped up shook her she sat up and said"they wont leave me alone"wtf
- —Guest kirk
- Hello when i was 3 i had dream that i would die driving on the interstate about the age I'am now 21 and wake up falling on the floor for real once I fall from the interstate in my dream , then i had a dream at 16 where the ro,, was exactly as my room n the devil appeared and dream was about grandma dying n she died the next day now my recent dream at 21 i dreamt that i was being choke after a good dream n couldnt see who it was and woke choking for real grab boyfriend n it went away please help
- —Guest Lily
Scariest experience ever
- I had fallen asleep early like 3:00 pm because I hadn't got that much sleep last night. I had a dream I was meeting someone and I was really happy. Then I had gone in my room and my door slammed shut I remember being pushed to the floor and not being able to get up. I was being choked by something I tried screaming but no noise would come out and I tried ripping whatever it was from my throat but it would not let go. I tried to bang on my door but for some reason I wasn't able to I was having my arms held back. I then heard my father's and brother's voices in my dream trying to wake me up but I couldn't. My brother then began hitting me and I finally awoke all out of breath and having extreme difficulty breathing. I went to look in the mirror my eyes were so red and I had only been sleeping for about 15 minutes. This is probably the most scariest moment in my life.
- Hi I am 54 yrs old and have occuring nightmares of the old hag, since I was 13 yrs old
- —Guest Sharon
You have to fight the Old Hag
- I have been visited by the Hag since I was six years old. Without going into detail I have been through the whole thing for over 30 years. A few years ago I was so frustrated with these visitations that I became angry with the Hag and during visits would be fighting back hard. Scratching, punching and cursing in my astral state. After doing this three times or so I won and it has seemingly stopped for the past couple of years. However, I'm not scared if she comes back and in a funny way kind of miss it. Saying that though, I know the Hag's a busy lady and I'm not trying to jump the queue but I've seriously been considering astral projection lately as a means to see why I was visited for so long. However, I'm just posting that if any of you are scared, then don't be. Fight back,swear,scratch,punch and bite the Hag in your astral state. It's after your energy and if you fight hard enough you'll send it on to someone else.
- I had a dream last night and im scared to go to sleep. The dream strted off nice, celebrating christmas decorating my tree, I lit a candle in my dream, then was sexually touched also. Then I ended up outside in my front yard. My neighbors walked by with slashes on their neck. Then a hag looking woman with long dark hair, hunched over was leaping around like a frog...I thought she had rabies, she or he was soo scarry...I desperately tried to get back in my house. It was locked..she came face to face with me on my porch, I wanted to punch her in the face but my hand was paralyzed...I am a new christian, so she didn't harm me...she walked away with two sad looking children. They were like her slaves. Then a car tried to pull up on her to save the kids, arrows darted to kill her but something in the air stopped the arrows...I woke up around 330_ fourish, t
- —Guest angel
- I have had this experiance many times in my life. i am now 37 years old. it all started when i was avout 8 years old, and one night i woke up and couldnt move, suddendly i feel a release of sorts and i satt up in bed. i looked to the side at the wall of mirrors next to the bed, and to my surprise i see a transparent me sitting up and a regular version of myself laying down, so i naturally look behind myself and see my body laying there. This frighned me so i chose to lay down in my body, and bang i was in the body again and couldnt move. I realized that my body was sleeping. Since that age ive experianced similar without leaving the body. I could wakeup in the night feeling this preassure, making it seemingly hard to breath and smells of sorts. In my case its beeing consious while sleeping. Awake but my body is sleeping. You cant controll a sleeping body, therefore its hard to breath or move, and you are connected with another"world" aswell so one might see things beyond. Spiritwold!
- —Guest Kim
- When it happens it only lasts for few seconds. During this few seconds you will be totally paralyzed, can not talk, you will feel something very heavy sitting on our chest and you will be unable to breath as you will panic however you are able to say the word 'Christ' out loud. As soon as you say 'Christ' this thing will disappear immediately. Also next time it happens, even if you don't say 'christ', don't panic as it can NOT do any harm to you so just breath in and out only through your nostrils. Then you will see that it will give up and leave you after few seconds.
- —Guest MS
1-15 of 371Next