1. News & Issues

Stephen Wagner

Reader Report: Centaur sighting in Winchester

By June 4, 2012

Centaur"In August, 1962, my boyfriend and I were traveling from the north of England to visit relatives in Hampshire in the south," reports Carole. "We were approaching Winchester (this was before the motorway) and were coming toward a railway line with an embankment to the left. It was early evening around six o'clock when suddenly this creature, which was half man and half horse, a beautiful white body, ran across the road in front of our car. We stopped the car. We could not believe our eyes, but then suddenly it disappeared into the embankment. I must add my boyfriend and I are typical down-to-earth Yorkshire people, who would never have believed had we not seen it with our own eyes."

Seeing something like Bigfoot or even a sea monster is one thing, Carole, but seeing a mythical creature like a centaur (half man, half horse) is quite another. This is not to discount your report, however, but we must consider carefully the phenomena of such sightings. Was this a case of mistaken identity (a large deer, for instance)? A shared hallucination? I think it's safe to say there are no real centaurs, but was your sighting a tulpa -- a physical manifestation of the subconscious that might exist only temporarily? So then we have to raise the question: What is real and what is reality?

In any case, you're not alone, Carole. Here are some other sightings of bizarre and mythical creatures:

Report your monster sighting in the Monster Sightings Database.

Comments

June 4, 2012 at 10:32 pm
(1) Ashley Gibson says:

Do you want to see a feature length documentary on what goes into ghost hunting? In The Other Side we cover the science, the equipment, and dive head first into evaluating paranormal evidence to see if it was faked or unexplainable. Visit our Indiegogo page (www.indiegogo.com/ghostblogs) and our website (www.ghost-blogs.com) to learn more about how you can see the film.

June 5, 2012 at 4:39 am
(2) Kroll1 says:

One should never dismiss people’s amazing stories! – I have Cthulhu in a cage, he’s my pet.

June 6, 2012 at 12:15 am
(3) Visara says:

But that’s just what this is: a story. An either made up story, or a drug-induced one.

How can anyone in their right mind claim to have seen a freaking centaur and expect someone to actually believe it?

That’s one of the biggest problems with websites like this one; too many hoaxters, liars and gullible people who believe just about anything they’re told.

I try to have an open mind – to not just close the door on the paranormal and flat out deny there might be things out there we can’t explain logically because there might be. But it’s kind of hard to do that when people like this are allowed to post obviously fabricated garbage about seeing a centaur.

This site instantly loses any kind of respect and credibility when something like this is allowed to be posted.

June 6, 2012 at 6:04 pm
(4) Scott says:

I want one of what their drinking

June 7, 2012 at 7:38 am
(5) Max says:

A pity Visara is so closed-minded.
It could very well be a hoax or an hallucination, or a case of mistaken identity, but there is a (admittedly vanishingly small) possibility of it being something else. I certainly would not condemn this site for posting the story.
One is reminded of the argument of personal incredulity – “I cannot imagine this happening, so it didn’t happen.” It’s the same argument the Creationists use when dismissing Evolution.
On the other hand, one must not be so open-minded your brains fall out. I try to steer a middle course. I’m happy to read people’s stories; some I believe, a lot I don’t, but I’ll try not to be rude about them – well, not too rude anyway.

June 7, 2012 at 11:12 am
(6) von says:

Half Man Half Horse.—— Half cut?

June 7, 2012 at 2:19 pm
(7) Shirley says:

Centaur is mythological only. Unless we speak in the term of a minor planet. Cyclops and Unicorns are legendary also. Its hard to know what was thought to be seen and how could half mans body function as part of a horse?