1. News & Issues

Stephen Wagner

"Rodent" on Mars picture

By December 6, 2012

"Rodent" on Mars picture

This curiosity, currently making its way around the web, snapped by one of the cameras of the Curiosity rover on the surface of the planet Mars has been dubbed the Mars rodent. From this vantage point -- the only one we're offered by the rover -- it does resemble a guinea pig as you'd find in any Earthly pet store.

Or is it more likely that this is a remarkable optical illusion, a rock whose shape fools us into seeing a furry little critter with a nose, eye, and possibly a front foot? Go see it in the Mars Gallery.

What do you think?

Comments

December 7, 2012 at 10:08 am
(1) CLIFFORD says:

Have another picture taken and see if the “rat” has moved. It will certianly not be in the same place . we will have the answer .

December 7, 2012 at 7:54 pm
(2) 4Truth&Justice says:

Anyone expecting to see evidence that this rodent on Mars has moved wil be disappointed. It’s obviously flattened – has already been stepped on by some larger denizen of Mars. LOL!

December 8, 2012 at 12:48 am
(3) Visara says:

They should find the coordinates where that photo was shot and return there to take more photos.

From what I see, it does look quite a bit like a guinea pig. Any chance this was Photoshopped, or is directly from NASA?

December 8, 2012 at 12:50 am
(4) Visara says:

Also, being that guinea pigs are vegetarians, I don’t think they’d be on Mars. I’ve never seen anything but rocks there.

December 8, 2012 at 6:29 am
(5) shirley says:

It made me smile. Curiosity keep exploring!

December 9, 2012 at 7:25 am
(6) Kurin says:

Read Robert A. Heinlein’s science fiction novel The Rolling Stones. This is a Martian flat cat, as described in this book, written in 1952.

December 9, 2012 at 3:30 pm
(7) lizzzyy says:

It looks like a wild Syrian hamster to me. Look down the wiki page for the ‘mother Syrian hamster’ to see the match. They live in the desert. Maybe Curiosity is trundling about closer to home! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamster

December 15, 2012 at 10:29 pm
(8) Lune says:

Looks like a rock to me.