1. Entertainment

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:


was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Your True Tales
September 2008
- Page 3

6 Strange Experiences
by Janice Vaughan

Here are the six strange experiences I've had in my lifetime.

1. This happened back in 1987 while I was living in a suburb of Kansas City, Missouri called Gladstone. My mom and I were driving south down Antioch road (mom was driving), and we stopped at a red light at the intersection of Antioch and Englewood roads. I casually looked out the passenger side window and was startled to see a huge silver disk hovering above the office building on the corner there just outside my window. I said something like, "Mom, look!" and then she saw it, too. The disc dwarfed the building and hovered without any noise about 50 feet above the building. It had lights around the middle and was shaped just like a saucer. As we watched, it glided across Englewood road and then hovered above Antioch theater for a moment before zooming off down and to the west, behind the houses that lie behind Antioch theater. Mom and I turned right onto Englewood road to try to find and follow it, but we weren't able to find it again. When we got home and told my step-dad about it, his reaction was muted. He didn't seem surprised by the story, but didn't act as though he believed us either. We watched the news that night to see if anyone reported it, but there wasn't anything about it on the news or in the paper the next day. I had always been kind of fascinated by stories of UFOs, but had never given them too much thought. About a year later, I read Communion by Whitley Strieber. Prior to seeing that disk with my mom, I would have simply read the book with the same interest I would read any other sci-fi story, but because of what I had seen with my own eyes, the book was terrifying to me.

2. Sometime in the early 1980s, when I was about 14 or 15 years old, my younger sister and I were home alone one afternoon (in Gladstone, Missouri). For some reason that I don't remember now, I left the phone in my mom's bedroom off the hook. This was before everyone had cordless telephones, so the handset attached to the base by a long twisted cord. The phone base was on my mom's bedside table and I left the handset laying on her bed. The phone beeped obnoxiously for a few minutes after it was off the hook, then went dead. My sister and I forgot about it until sometime later when we suddenly heard the phone ring. I vividly remember how strange it felt, walking back into my mom's room, to see the handset still laying on the bed and hear that phone ringing. The phone stopped ringing as soon as I picked up the handset. I tentatively put it to my ear and said, "Hello?" A flat, female voice said, "Hang up the phone." Of course I did exactly that, but we didn't get any other phone calls anytime soon afterwards, so it doesn't appear that anyone had been trying to reach us. I've always wondered how the phone rang when it was off the hook. And how did it suddenly stop ringing when I picked up the handset?

3. Another time (also in the early '80s in Gladstone, Missouri), I was the only one home one afternoon and the house was quiet. Our house was two and half stories and had a catwalk overlooking the family room. I was up on the catwalk when suddenly the TV in the family room came on, the volume went all the way up, and the channels were changing rapidly. I could see the TV from where I stood on the catwalk and saw the channels flipping. It was so loud! It scared me to death, and I went downstairs and shut the TV off (and unplugged it). I don't have any explanation for it, and it never happened again.

4. This took place in 1990, not long after I moved to Des Moines, Iowa. I was driving from Des Moines to Kansas City one night after dark on I-35. One lane was blocked off for road work by big orange barrels. What happened next happened in a flash, but takes a little longer to relate. I must have been going about 60 mph when suddenly I saw a deer on the road right in front of me. I remember its big black eyes locked in my headlights, and noticing that there was a car behind me, its lights shining in my rearview mirror. I didn't have time to brake or swerve. I flashed my lights, honked the horn and... my next memory is of driving down the road, shaking my head and wondering what happened. It's like time just jumped. I can't explain it. To this day this memory doesn't make sense to me.

5. In 1998 I was working as a nanny. I watched two little boys, and brought my daughter to work with me. All three of the kids were two years old. I had just put all the kids down for their morning nap at 10 a.m. and I stretched out on the couch. The next thing I knew I was floating up toward the ceiling! I looked up and aimed myself toward the skylight and went right through it. I was floating above the roof of the house and looking out toward the south. There was nothing but farm fields as far as I could see from up there. I was very aware of being attached to my body by a cord and I was afraid to go very far for fear of severing the cord, so I then found myself back on the couch, sitting up and wondering what had happened. It's the only time I've ever had anything that could be called an out of body experience.

6. The last odd experience also happened in 1998 in the same house, several weeks later. The kids were napping and the house was quiet. While looking through a magazine my attention was distracted by a repetitive tapping sound. After looking around the kitchen and living room without locating the source of the sound, I went into the foyer. The front door of the house has narrow windows on either side extending from the floor to the top of the door. There, at the bottom of the window on the right hand side of the door, sat a little yellow bird, knocking on the glass with his beak. I was flabbergasted. The bird tapped at the glass until it saw me, but it didn't fly away. I slowly opened the front door and stepped out onto the front porch. The yellow bird then flew to the porch railing and sat looking at me, three feet away from where I stood with my mouth hanging open. I had no doubt that then or now that the bird tapped to get my attention. I said, "Hi, grandpa." After a minute or two, the bird turned and flew to a tree in the yard. My grandpa died in a car accident in 1991. I loved him very much and his death affected me deeply. Grandpa was very musical and played the piano by ear. One of the songs he would always play is called "Yellow Bird". It is a song that I strongly associate with him. As soon as I saw the yellow bird (a male goldfinch) knocking on the window, I felt it was some kind of love message from grandpa.

< Previous story | Next story >

< main menu

Do you have a paranormal tale to tell?
Click here.

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.