1. News & Issues
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

Bigfoot and the Cherokee Hill

A journey into sacred lands where the creature has been known for generations


Hebbardsville Bigfoot

According to one witness, this is what the Hebbardsville creatures look like. Described as averaging 8 ft. tall, 400 lbs. with black skin and long arms that hang below the knees.

© B. M. Nunnelly 2006
Bart Nunnelly is convinced that Bigfoot exists, and may even be thriving in the many remote wilderness areas of North America. He has good reason to think so. As co-owner and co-creator of Kentucky Bigfoot (with fellow Bigfoot researcher Charlie Raymond), Bart devotes a great deal of his time researching sightings and examining evidence of these remarkable forest giants in the Bluegrass State. And the evidence he’s gathered is both fascinating and compelling. Bart recently met with an eyewitness to these creatures, a Cherokee elder who took Bart on a journey into the heart of Bigfoot territory and provided detailed information about the giant from his own experiences as well as the age-old traditions of the Cherokee people, who know these creatures well. This is Bart's story....

(Note: The names of the locations in this report have been intentionally altered for the privacy of those involved.)

After learning from a local paranormal investigator friend of mine about an old Cherokee fellow who also claimed to be a Hebbardsville, Kentucky Bigfoot witness, a phone interview was arranged and conducted in November, 2006. The information proved correct. Not only did the witness describe repeated (often at will) sightings of groups of these hairy creatures since his childhood, he also claimed to be in possession of what he was convinced was an actual tooth, which he described as a canine, from one of these creatures. Moreover, he could describe, in great detail, the physiological features, general attitudes and predictable behavior of these mysterious “hillbillies” known to the rest of the world as Bigfoot.

After several more phone interviews a meeting was arranged and, under the promise of strict anonymity, M.F. (not his real initials) agreed to allow me to eventually photograph the alleged Bigfoot canine for possible identification.


M. F. lived only a short drive from the Hebbardsville area, only a twenty minute drive from my own doorstep. My heart sank at the sight of the closed and locked gate in front of the house. No one was home. He had warned me that he and his wife were taking a trip out of town that particular weekend, but expected to be back the previous night. Evidently they had not made it. I had tried phoning him that morning and his answering machine had picked up. I had hoped, in vain as it turned out, that he would be back before our 2 p.m. appointment. I waited for a few moments, then turned around and drove away, feeling somewhat defeated and tired from the morning’s excursion.

I arrived back home around 3 p.m. and kicked off my shoes, wincing at the dime-sized blister the rubber boot had left on my right heel. I was sore and nearly exhausted from all the walking. After reviewing the digital photos of the Pleasant Hill sighting area I decided a short nap would be in order, so I turned on the rotating fan and lay down on the sofa. No sooner had I closed my eyes when the phone rang. It was M.F. He explained that his wife had took ill on their trip, forcing them to stay away an extra night. They had only just arrived back home. He was still willing to meet with me, he said, if I didn’t mind driving back out to Hebbardsville. I looked at the clock. It was well after three already with less than two hours of daylight left. I told him that I was on my way.

I found the gentleman to be pleasant, friendly, down to earth and of obvious intelligence. He immediately pulled the tooth out of his pocket. It did resemble a human canine, or eye-tooth, only about three times as large. I examined it and noted the obvious authenticity and great antiquity of the object, taking several photographs. It was complete with most of the root system still intact. The outer edges were very slightly serrated, almost imperceptibly, which I found most unusual. He viewed the tooth as a scared object, he had told me during one of our previous phone conversations, and he would consent to no DNA testing because to do this would mean that at least a partial destruction of the tooth would occur. He could never allow that to happen. Nor would he allow it to depart his possession in any way or for any length of time.


As a matter of fact, he had informed me that he didn't really care at all to try and prove the existence of these creatures to anyone. They had always been a fact of life to his people. Evidence of his Cherokee heritage was strewn about his yard, flower beds and doorsteps, and worn proudly around his neck. These creatures were the “Old People of the Forest,” he told me, and their reality caused no controversy except to the whites. It would be amusing if not for the fact that in their ignorance, the logging and mining of the white man was causing the rapid desecration and destruction of the Bigfoot's habitat – land considered sacred by the Indians since the beginning of history.

“Can you show me where they lived?” I asked.

There was daylight left. He asked me if I cared to take a ride.

M. F.'s story was an interesting one. He had first been exposed to the creatures while growing up in the Spottsville, Reed areas, although at least two earlier generations of his family had their own tales of sightings and strange happenings. He remembered his great grandfather recounting how he had run outside one night after he'd heard some kind of commotion to see one of the “old people” carrying off two of his full grown sows, one under each arm, like they were piglets. It swiftly made its escape even though the pigs weighed about 200 lbs. each!

Next page: Sightings and Description

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.