It's easy to try dowsing yourself. Here are some steps for a dowsing test:
Time Required: 1/2 hour
- Make or purchase the dowsing tool with which you will be most comfortable.
- Ask a friend to bury an object (try a metal object or small bottle of water) somewhere in your yard, just a few inches below the surface. Be sure your friend is careful to conceal the burial spot so that it is not at all obvious where they have dug.
- Before starting, mentally ask your dowsing tool to indicate to you when you are passing over the hidden object. (Be sure to consult some of the sources listed in this article for the proper way to hold the dowsing tool.)
- Start walking. You can either take a methodical approach, walking in a defined pattern up and down the yard, or you can walk randomly, following your instincts.
- Walk slowly, concentrating on the object and trying to remain open and sensitive to the movements of the dowsing tool.
- When your dowsing tool reacts and indicates a specific spot, stop and see if you have succeeded. If not, try again.
- If at first you don't succeed, try a different dowsing tool or a different type of target.
- Try it at different times of day and in different frames of mind; these may all affect the outcome.
- Keep a record of your attempts and keep at it. You might find that you have a strong ability for dowsing.
- Let me know how well you dowsed.
What You Need
- Dowsing rods